Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 raptor owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 raptor owners

I think that is a big problem... people that jump their bikes???... cuz we race and race a lot with ZERO problems... very good prev. main. and we have relatively low gearing... it is however yamahas fault that there is a weak link with the tranny, it should hold up well no matter what abuse it is put through.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

we have been through the stock tires, holeshots, two sets of chen shin knobbies, but the paddles are stil running strong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I can only take two trips on cheng shin knobbies before they are bald now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]...but it is kind of cool beating bikes with paddles when you are sporting some bald donuts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
What is it with you and tire wear Gary? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]In case you had forgotten, you posed me the same question once before, regarding the amount of riding time I put on my 01.DC504,As you can see, there are many of us here who do extreme amounts of riding on 01 trannies with no problems and a few that have had.Everyone has done an excellent job of posting both sides of this issue without letting it get agressive. Very nice to see. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]~HoundDog
My apologies if I offended you, that was not the intension. You post your tranny is holding up fine, but you have a low hours 01 Raptor. Hours make a big difference. My first tranny failed at about 200 hours. Without looking at the other post when I questioned you on the matter, I bet you posted that your posted that your tranny was doing fine. But did you post that your rap is low hours? Thats the point I am trying too get across....not offend. I don't want someone too go buy an 01 Raptor thinking all will be fine without getting all of the facts first. Later gentlemen.
P.S. People at the stealership are programmed too never admit there is a problem with anything, you guys should have figured that out by now.
Gary

Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

What is it with you and tire wear Gary? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

In case you had forgotten, you posed me the same question once before, regarding the amount of riding time I put on my 01.

DC504,

As you can see, there are many of us here who do extreme amounts of riding on 01 trannies with no problems and a few that have had.

Everyone has done an excellent job of posting both sides of this issue without letting it get agressive. Very nice to see. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

~HoundDog
At first I thought he may have been eluding to the fact that mine is not as old in that picture as I stated. But after reading his post in the thread provided he may actually be gauging riding time with transmission failure and using tire wear as a guage. Although many factors can affect tire wear. Some include the serface you spend most of your time on, asphalt, hard packed clay are worst than loose sandy conditions. Also if quads are left out to let the sun bake the tires then those tires would wear faster. Also if you do burnouts as often as you can it helps eat them up as well. For me I ride mostly across grassy fields yielding very low tire wear in these conditions and it is ekpt in a closed garage when not being rode. My father still has his stock tires on his 1990 Grizzly of course he still has plenty of tread but they are starting to crack.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
What is it with you and tire wear Gary? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]In case you had forgotten, you posed me the same question once before, regarding the amount of riding time I put on my 01.DC504,As you can see, there are many of us here who do extreme amounts of riding on 01 trannies with no problems and a few that have had.Everyone has done an excellent job of posting both sides of this issue without letting it get agressive. Very nice to see. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]~HoundDog
My apologies if I offended you, that was not the intension. You post your tranny is holding up fine, but you have a low hours 01 Raptor. Hours make a big difference. My first tranny failed at about 200 hours. Without looking at the other post when I questioned you on the matter, I bet you posted that your posted that your tranny was doing fine. But did you post that your rap is low hours? Thats the point I am trying too get across....not offend. I don't want someone too go buy an 01 Raptor thinking all will be fine without getting all of the facts first. Later gentlemen.
P.S. People at the stealership are programmed too never admit there is a problem with anything, you guys should have figured that out by now.
Gary
Hours does make a difference, BUT we have an extreme amount of hours on our bikes without a flaw whatsoever???

Old 08-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I am talking about tranny gears meshing together....there is wear there any way you look at it. Everything has a service life. Due too the poor design, the 01 Raptor's service life is reduced.
Gary

Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: maddog56
For 63 hp you must have a lot more done to your machine than you have listed in your sig. Otherwise, MBRP is claiming some outrageous hp numbers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
well of coarse i do. i couldn't give away all my little secrets now could i. i would be all day listing every one of my goodies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

"Apologies", "not being aggressive", "still got original tires on an '01" c'mon guys, riding is all about being aggressive, trying to beat your buddies, trying to get more power, climbing hills that no one else can, taking the lead once in a while so someone else can eat your dust for a change.
Poking fun is just tough love, no harm is ever meant! Suck it up, get some thicker skin & ride the freakin treads off them '01 stock tires for crying out loud.....

Old 08-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

LOL .... true

Old 08-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chimmer
"Apologies", "not being aggressive", "still got original tires on an '01" c'mon guys, riding is all about being aggressive, trying to beat your buddies, trying to get more power, climbing hills that no one else can, taking the lead once in a while so someone else can eat your dust for a change.
Poking fun is just tough love, no harm is ever meant! Suck it up, get some thicker skin & ride the freakin treads off them '01 stock tires for crying out loud.....
I most likely would have more tread eaten off if I had some competition. I found a group of atvers around here but they were all utilities so even taking it easy they were always in my dust. I went around all the mud I could and hit what I couldn't go around pretty fast. Muddin was not fun for me so I abandoned that group. I then found a couple of guys to ride with that also had Raptors and that was fun but then work and crap got in the way and now they have CBR's so I guess we can still ride but on asphault.

Believe me I would love to have

1. A track or something for quads to go ridding on near by
2. A group of sport riders to ride with
or
3. A good ORV trail to enjoy

Until one of those things happen I am riding solo so how ever I am riding I am still in first place.

Some of you guys are very lucky to have nice public riding areas or a neighboring group of sport riders.

Quick Reply: '01 raptor owners