Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help Immediately!! Wolverine might be seized??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2000, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Today my brother was riding his wolverine through some water and fell into a deep hole and and his quad stalled out the water was up over the handle bars and the quad was totally submerged when I finally got the grizzly to pull him about a minute later the quad wouldn't start and was making a very strange starting sound and wouldn't turn over, we then stood the quad up on its rear rack and took the airbox cover off about half a liter of water came rushing out of the airbox his filter was totally drenched, so we are wondering what to do because I think that there is water in his cylinder so I was wondering how should we get it out??, also will we have to change his oil because we just changed it last week. I look forward to your replies because we have very little idea as to what we should do to fix this. please reply quick because we are worried that we wrecked something expensive.

Thanks

BUB

Old 08-13-2000, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Please anyone, any little thought on the post will be greatly aprreciated

Thanks

Bub

Old 08-13-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

DO not hit start again with the spark plug in it. Remove the plug and it will force the water out of the cylinder. Do the normal oil changing 4 Times and you should be alright.
Greg

Old 08-13-2000, 01:17 AM
Range Rover

unplug the sparkplug then hit the start button then drain ur oil and keep drainin it like 3 or 4 times to get all the water out and u might want to change the oil filter then it should crank right up

Old 08-13-2000, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

Check your engine oil to see if there are any signs of water or creamy color. If so drain it w/filter too. Pull you spark plug and push the start button to turn the engin over, this will help push any water from the cylinder. You may also have water in the carb and it should be drained too. If I were you I'd drain those fluid, replace them, put the plug back in and try to start her up. If it runs, give it a few minutes and re-check the oil for creamyness cause you may have to change it again. The motor will probably run rough for a while when it first starts cause everything is wet. You may have to warm it up good to get it to dry out.

Damguy

Old 08-13-2000, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree here.

Change the oil a number of times. Also change the Oil filter, and also re-oil the air filter.

You want to be careful about the water, but also be careful about the crud in the water. To be really thorough, clean your carb and vent lines too.

Might also want to drain the gas tank in case any water got in thru the vent lines or fuel lines.

Other than that, change the oil. Run it for a few minutes, then change it again. Keep doing this until you have a good looking oil change. No milky stuff.

Just remember, when you sink it, you have to drain the water from the airbox FIRST, before you crank it over.....

And actually if you ride in alot of water, you should increase the frequency of your oil changes, to ensure you don't have any leaky seals. I would be a bummer to find out the hard way.

RM

Old 08-13-2000, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

dont forget to check your differentials for water too..it might have gotten some in there as well

Old 08-14-2000, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys we got his machine running yesterday we cleaned and re-oiled his filter, We got the water out by turnning over the motor with out the sparkplug in and repeating the sparkplug process for like 5 time till we couldn't get any more water out then I cleaned his carb out for him and then today we are going to change his oils, and tommorow we are taking the his bike to a machine shop to get some beefy skid plates.
anyway thanks for all your help it was greatly appreciated

BUB
1995 Warrior
1999 Wolverine (Bro's)
1999 Griz (dad's)
1995 LT 80 (soon to be sold my Bro's old BIke)
1990 LT 160 (my mom's)
Atc 200x (this thing looks like crap but still starts on the first kick)