Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ever Heard of a Stretched Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever Heard of a Stretched Tire?

OK, this is the first time I have ever heard of this or seen it, but one of my rear Bandit tires on my Blaster has stretched so that it is bulged out in the middle and not flat anymore across the tread if you know what I mean. I believe it did this when I plugged a hole in it and pumped the tire up over the max psi recommended (I know, I know) so that the plug would seal good. Anyway, a week later when I wanted to ride it I lowered the pressure to normal (4 psi) and rode it. Both tires had same pressure but I noticed that it pulled hard to the left (tire I fixed was on right). Looking at the atv from the back I noticed that the right tire was ballooned some (like stock tires)and as I said, not flat like the other one. I think I somehow stretched the tire when I pumped it up but I have been trying to get the other tire to do this by filling it up a LOT and it will not stretch to look like the other one. I COULD just run a lower psi in the stretched tire to even both tires out so it won't pull either way when accelerating but I don't like having 6 psi in one tire and 3 psi in the other to make them even. Any ideas? Anybody else ever experienced this stupid problem? Oh by the way, the hole I had to plug I think was a factory defect in the tire and it took two plugs so this other problem just drives me crazy. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

how long u had them if there like only a few rides old send it back and say it happened when riding.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I could do that but it's probably my fault for overfilling, and more importantly, I am going riding tomorrow so I need to keep the tires on there. I just filled the other tire up even more (really hard) and added some water to it (to soften it some) in another attempt to stretch THAT tire like the other one. Again, this is really wierd that the other tire stretched like that. I may have to end up buying another one to replace it. It has about a month of use on it now and some visible wear in the treads from rocks.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:58 AM
The Facility

Yes, it was done by overinflating and it is possible to do this on any ATV tire.

Good luck trying to get it covered under any type of warranty or claim of defect. This happens all the time and the manufacturer isn't stupid. They know what happened to the tire.

Either overinflate the other one and hope for the best, or purchase another tire to replace it.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I am overinflating the other tire again and again to try to make it match the other one. So far I have succeeded slightly but it still needs to be inflated and stretched a little more to make it perfect. I KNOW I didn't have the other tire that full but it takes a LOT of pressure to even affect this tire a little when I try intentionally. I seem to have made a little progress though because now I can have one tire at 4 psi and one at about 3 psi and it's fine pretty much. Buying a new tire is not an option anymore because I don't want to have to buy 2 of them due to me now having 2 stretched tires. Oh well, thanks for the replies. Knowsalot, I figured that, but hey, I learned my lesson. It just seems like bad luck to me since I've never heard of anyone doing this before (and the other tire won't stretch even when I try).