Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i getting ripped off?

2002 Yamaha <B>Craptor</B> **
<U>Member of the ONE ride club!

</U>
Welcome...it's not lonely around here either.

Get a maintenance manual and do the work yourself. Check with Bob at www.magnoliatractor.com. His prices can't be beat.
Gary

Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BURKEDADDY
What shop in utah did you take it to?
I had taken it to dab racing in clearfield .. as of now i wouldnt recommend them.. also i have had issues with careys cycle in riverdale

Old 07-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

When you take a bike, quad, car to a dealer you should expect to pay for original manufacturer parts. Factory yamaha stuff is going to be much more cash than stuff off the net. Do you expect the mechanic to chase down all the best deals on parts on the web and then wait for them to be shipped and such? Which we know at least 1 part will not show up a 2 will be the wrong ones?? Now after you get your world wide web motor together do you expect the guy to warranty the thing??? If the engine fails are you going to post a thread on how terrible their work and service is? There is a reason why GM brake pads cost more than the ones at the local discount parts store, they were not made off shore in china, brazil, or wherever..
I would feel much better about having a Yamaha cam chain over your $23 one. Mechanics try to use the best parts they can because a part failure in an engine that is under warranty will cost them all if not more money than they made off the job to begin with, your wallet is their last concern..

Old 07-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpinCycle
When you take a bike, quad, car to a dealer you should expect to pay for original manufacturer parts. Factory yamaha stuff is going to be much more cash than stuff off the net. Do you expect the mechanic to chase down all the best deals on parts and then wait for them to be shipped and such? Which we know at least 1 part will not show up a 2 will be the wrong ones?? Now after you get your world wide web motor together do you expect the guy to warranty the thing??? If the engine fails are you going to post a thread on how terrible their work and service is? There is a reason why GM brake pads cost more than the ones at the local discount parts store, they were not made off shore in china, brazil, or wherever..I would feel much better about having a Yamaha cam chain over your $23 one. Mechanics try to use the best parts they can because a part failure in an engine that is under warranty will cost them all if not more money than they made off the job to begin with, your wallet is their last concern..
Dude, he would be buying YAMAHA on the net.....not a second rate product. The same stuff thats sitting on the dealers shelf. I don't know about you, but I am certainly not gonna pay above retail for anything when I can get the same thing for much less elsewhere. More important then the money, the shop is trying too screw this guy over. When he picks the quad up, odds are the price will be even higher from shady characters like this.
Gary

Old 07-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

/.....no see thats the problem.. he told me all these parts were from the yamaha factory.. i can get the same parts from another yamaha dealer 190 and he wants 510.. and the 23 dollar chain i found is sealed from the factory its a yamaha genuine part... check..cam chain

and as far as that 108 dollar gasket rockymountain racing has 4 differnt brands all under 40 bucks.. and the yamaha genuine part one is 39

I mean i can understand them marking up the prices a little.. but when they are nearly tripling the price thats just ridiculous

Old 07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Just called to try and confirm a few things they said that the valves that they quoted me on were Kibble and white valve springs.. DO i need these or will the factory ones hold up fine.. it kinda fluttered me when she said the rest was the yamaha parts.. because.. i can get it a lot cheaper.. my question is .. is it worth the extra 200 bucks for the kibble and white valve springs.. and exactly how long should this build take? im thinking ill just call them tell them ill order the parts and bring them in.. that way it will cost me 500 instead of 950..

Old 07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You need too be running the Kibblewhite springs for the stage 2 hot cam anyway. Thats probably why your engine is down now. Those sell for $150 all day. You need too step up and tell the shop guys they are asking way too much for parts. Tell them you know what retail is and you are not gonna let them rape you on cost.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

this is confusing me.. she said valve srpings.. does kibble and white make valves?? because my old builder told me he put kibblewhite valve springs on.. and if he didnt then.. hes gonna have to deal with my wrath.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I do not think Kibblewhite makes valves. She was more than likely talking about springs. I would ask them if you already had the better springs required for the stage 2 cam. If they say no, go down there and ask too look at them (I would not trust them since they are trying too screw you over). Stock springs are 1 single spring...the Kibblewhite springs are dual springs.....a smaller spring inside the outer spring.
Gary

Old 07-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Why do you feel he's a shady character? He has a shop, offering to repair pinheads quad and he put a price on it. He didn't like the price so he went down the road. He has no obligation to humanity to price his labor or parts anyway he wants. I'm sure he told pinhead that there would be a warranty on labor and *his* parts.

Now, dealer says " OK pinhead bring me your Super Duper bigger is better cam and we'll put that in for you instead of the factory Yamaha one so we can save you a couple bucks." Dealer has never used this part but pinhead insists it's the hot ticket. Two weeks later: phone call " hay pinhead, yea we started your new engine today and well it ran great for 20min or so then it got this knocking sound in the top end"

pinhead: well what do you think it could be?

Mech: Well we're not sure but we think it may be your cam is not right....

pinhead: we'll your going fix it right? I mean I spent all that cash with you..

Mech: we'll look at it and figure out what happened... click

Mechanic starts throwing crap around the shop swearing he will never let anyone bring him parts off the street again!!

Quick Reply: Am i getting ripped off?