Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Am i getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i getting ripped off?

nice phone call..

i just talked to the guy .. its starting ot make sense..

I guess kibblewhite does make valves.. they are called blackdiamond valves.. and that is the actual price.. its 280 for the set of 5... so he wasnt pulling my leg there.. i talked to him and it does have the dual rate valve springs also.. and with that he says there is somekinda like valve spacers and he said if he remembers right those run about 200.. and i wasnt charged for those from the previous dealer... the rocker arm wasnt shady it was 26 so he wasnt pulling my leg there the cam chain was 79.. i guess it just kinda depends on where you get it.. i might tell him ill bring in the one from ripper racing because thats 50 bucks saved right there.. the top gasket for 108.. i was like no way.. but i guess he chooses to use athena(sp?) for the gasket company because that set has everything for the top end build says it has vave guide seals and everything plus its made out of good material he said all the work has been done that my previous shop told me but he said once this is all put together it will be running great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Spincycle...I can understand a dealer being cautious about installing and warrantying a non Yammaha part. Genuine Yamaha parts is another story....as I stated, they same thing on the dealers shelf. I consider anyone thats pricing me parts at 3X retail shady. It tells me a lot about the dealership.
Gary

Old 07-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Interesting on the springs.....did you ask him whats wrong with using new Yamaha valves?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

he said that he prefers using aftermarket valves when it comes to a high performance bike.. he said that the yamaha valves were sumthing like 60 bucks a peice with spacers and all that but the black diamond kibblewhite were only 53 or sumthing..

Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

And spincycle.. its not a dealership.. this is a racing shop... they are happy to do whatever you want.. i took in my l&a one way because they had never heard of an aftermarket one way but i told them and they were happy to put it in.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

What it says is that in the location that he's in it costs more cash to do business. No dealer wants to price themselfs out of business but they can't go broke making great deals either. It costs more because he is installing and standing behind his workmanship and quality of the build. The guy your mail ordering from knows he will probably never have any responsability if a part fails and the engine goes south. If a rocker fails and it wipes out a bunch of stuff the guy is going to tell you " no problem, I'll get you a new set of rockers in the mail right now"... click. That's the cost of doing business face to face..

Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pinheadedjoker
he said that he prefers using aftermarket valves when it comes to a high performance bike.. he said that the yamaha valves were sumthing like 60 bucks a peice with spacers and all that but the black diamond kibblewhite were only 53 or sumthing..
It does'nt add up. So how is he coming up with $280 (valves) + $200 (spacers...I have no idea what this is...retainers maybe)? 53 X 5 = $265

Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Putting a one way on is a very small job compared to an engine build, even if it doesn't work they are out very little in labor and if it works maybe they find something better than the yami part.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

i dont remember if it was exactly 53.. but it was in the 50's and no doesnt need valve spacers he said that those were already in the head when my old builder put them in.. and i didnt get charged for them so that makes me a little bit happier.. so its 53 or 54 X 5 and it comes out around 280.. and hes not charging me for shipping.. then hes gonna charge me 6 hours labor. he also said he would tune my bike and make sure the jetting is right so i can finnaly get some power.. i didnt tell him its a go yet because im worried about money..

Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SpinCycle
Putting a one way on is a very small job compared to an engine build, even if it doesn't work they are out very little in labor and if it works maybe they find something better than the yami part.
what do u meaN??

i bought the l&a one way off the internet and gave that to them instead of them buying the yamaha genuine part..

also this isnt a yamaha dealer.. this is an actual race shop like craycraft or what not..

Quick Reply: Am i getting ripped off?