Raptor Release Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2000, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jy2276,

Let's pick your post apart for a while.

You wrote:
"I feel sorry for you because you are probably one of these idiots who has went and put thousands of dollars down on a quad that you know absolutely nothing about,
[ Well, for one, we know that it is the biggest displacement engine available in a quad, the head and intake design are based on proven technology found on Yamaha sport bikes and the much hailed YZ426 dirt bike, it has frame geometry similar to aftermarket frames costing thousands, has power equal to or more than most other high performance quads and the biggie, it comes with reverse.]

I am not saying it isn't going to be a good quad but all of you are trying to make it out to be the best quad of all time even before it is released on to the market,
[how many of us that your posts have been directed at have claimed it to be the best quad ever?]

why do you think it is taking so long to come out? Because of problems more than likely! [No, more than likely because they want to ensure that everything is correct before selling it to the public. Also, if anyone has claimed it to be the best quad, it would be the editors of about every magazine that have reviewed it. I'm sure you're more qualified to judge though.]

So don't compare it to the Banshee! The Banshee is a classic and no one can argue that. This quad has been around longer than you have been more than likely!
[Who ever tried to discredit the Banshee? In its element, the Banshee is unbeatable, especially in modified form. I had one and loved it, but for my riding, the Banshee isn't as good as the Raptor should be. Also, don't think that the Banshee has never had problems. Although changes were few, they did go from J-arms to A-arms, not to mention that the cooling system is adequate at best, the shifting mechanism has room for much improvement and the geometry of the frame has never rivaled that of the offerings from Honda.]

Chances are I have been riding quads since you were in diapers so I know a little about quads and I have seen this all before, a new sport quad that was going to replace the banshee as the king and it hasn't happened yet even Yamaha admits the Raptor is not a replacement for the banshee but until the Raptors has some years of experience under its belt you have nothing to brag about.
[You've seen it all before huh? When? In the 13 or so years that the Banshee has been produced, just how many quads have laid claim to be faster than a Banshee? Couldn't be too many considering the market went for around 10 years without a new, true high-performance quad.]

When it wins the Baja 1000 five times then let me hear it until then keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself.
[I think that it has already been pointed out, but you are the one that chose not to keep your thoughts to yourself with regard to a post that does not concern you, other than it might hurt your feelings that there is another stallion in the Yamaha stables.]

If you are wanting pure horsepower
[If I wanted pure horsepower, I would have built a custom Banshee with extended swingarm and lightweight frame.]
you can't go wrong with the Banshee so don't come crying when you get a Raptor and your buddies are whipping up on you with a 14 year old quad!"

[The only one crying around here is you! As mentioned by another forum member, it seems that you can only attack other members interested in the Raptor. If you have as many years of experience that you say, it seems you could offer some assistance or technical advice occasionally.

Basically, you might benefit by getting a life, going back to school or whatever else it is that will make you feel good about yourself instead of trying to tear down everyone else on this board.
]

Old 08-21-2000, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

IT IS OBVIOUS BASH THAT YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS. WHY DONT YOU GET OUT MORE OFTEN MAYBE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO FIND YOURSELF A WOMAN TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR FRUSTRATION. LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD THIS TIME BECAUSE I HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN THIS 100 TIMES. YEAH THE RAPTOR I AM SURE WILL BE A GOOD QUAD BUT I AM JUST EXPRESSING MY OPINIONS ABOUT IT. SINCE 87 THERE HAS BEEN MANY SPORT QUADS TO COME ABOUT AND NONE SEEMED TO HANG AROUND TOO LONG EITHER. FOR EXAMPLE SUZUKI'S 250 AND 500 QUADS WERE AROUND FOR A FEW YEARS BUT THEY WERE NO MATCH. KAWASAKI'S TECATE WAS A PIECE OF JUNK. HONDA, I WILL GIVE CREDIT MADE AN EXCELLENT QUAD WITH THE 250R BUT WHERE IS IT NOW. NOW WE HAVE BOBARDIER WITH THE 650, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE RIDING IN A FULL SIZE TRUCK WITH THE SIZE OF THIS QUAD. WHAT KIND OF SPORT QUAD WEIGHS CLOSE TO 500LBS? HONDA'S 400EX IS A DECENT QUAD BUT JUST NO WHERE AS EXCITING AS THE BANSHEE. I GIVE YAMAHA CREDIT FOR THE RAPTOR BUT LETS ALL FACE IT THE ONLY WAY A QUAD IS GOING TO BE HIGHPERFORMANCE IS IF IT IS A 2-STROKE! I AM SURE THE RAPTOR WILL BE GREAT FOR SLOW RIDES IN THE WOODS WITH YOUR GRANDMAW BUT THAT ISN'T FOR ME. ALSO AS ANYONE KNOWS THE BANSHEE IS ALOT CHEAPER TO HOP UP THAN A 4-STROKE. IT TAKES ALOT OF MONEY TO MODIFY A 4-STROKE SO WHEN THE TIME COMES AND YOU WANT THE MOST FOR YOUR MONEY ON AFTERMARKET PARTS THE BANSHEE IS THE WAY TO GO! WITH A FEW SIMPLE MODS YOU CAN HAVE THE BANSHEE OVER 60HP. TO GET A RAPTOR UP TO THAT KIND OF POWER YOU WOULD NEED ALOT OF WORK AND ALOT OF MONEY. I DON'T CARE HOW FAST THEY MAKE ANY PRODUCTION QUAD TODAY WITH A FEW MODS THE BANSHEE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER AND THAT IS ALL I AM IN IT FOR IS THAT ADRENALINE RUSH ACCELERATING WHEN WINDING THAT 6TH GEAR OUT ACROSS THE SAND ROOSTING ALL YOU LITTLE 4-STROKES. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS SO DON'T BE SO DEFENSIVE. THESE QUADS ARE BOTH YAMAHA'S SO YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH EITHER BUT LIKE I HAVE SAID BEFORE I PREFER THE BANSHEE MAINLY BECAUSE THERE IS NO LIMIT TO ITS POTENTIAL WITH THE AFTERMARKET!

Old 08-21-2000, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

As much as it pains me to say this as I have a raptor on order is that all of the magazines and articles and even the pamphlet the dealer gave me says that availability is SEP\OCT. Our dealers have led us to believe possibly sooner but yamaha gave this date.

Old 08-21-2000, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

double post

Old 08-21-2000, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

JY2276,

Wow, I think that you have impressed us all with your witty reply. I had hoped you'd throw in a "yo' momma's so fat" joke somewhere prior to letting us all know that you are just expressing your opinion and not out to attack someone's views. (What a joke!)

How does someone saying how well they think the Raptor is going to be equate to attacking the Banshee? Are all of your friends afraid to say something nice about anything other than yours because you'll accuse them of downgrading your property?

Again, I agree that the Banshee is the HP king, but a lot of your reasoning seems to revolve around the economics of it. Sure, modifying the Banshee is much more affordable than a 4-stroke, but money is not always an issue with some of these guys on here. (still is with me)

At least we agree that it's a good thing that Yamaha has not 1, but 2 great high-performance quads in their line-up.

Old 08-21-2000, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I find it funny how someone has a opinion about something... that everyone respects.... yet he still has to attack anyone that shows interest in another quad other than this persons "ideal quad"

sorry I just don't get it, and I am from this point forward going to not respond (or waste my time responding) to someone that cannot respect the fact that his "ideal quad" is not everyone elses... it is a waste of time! I think that everyone should chose to do the same.

Old 08-21-2000, 07:11 PM
Range Rover

U can't say the raptor is boring and good for going slow in the woods if u haven't even rode it yet! And we can all agree that the raptor will be much much faster through, woods, trails, and in a drag, assuming there both stock. And i think ur overrateing the banshee abit there. You can't "easily" get 65 horsepower out of a banshee. It takes some major motor work. And also remember when modifying a banshee, u have to buy two of everything. it'll also be quite a gas hog with 65hp, not as reliable, and you'll have to run race gas.

U also seem to forget the raptor is in a mild state of tune. If a 600cc(4stroke) streetbike can make a 100 horsepower, STOCK, i eould think the raptor can get atleast 65-70 when modded, even more if u ran alchohol, turbo ect.

Old 08-21-2000, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Im sure JY's banshee is the best one they have ever made and it is probably solid 24k gold. (Wink,Wink) now he should feel better about the banshee. The fact is I like the banshee, but the fact also is its very dated, It may be fast but is that the entire point of it? some people like ride quality, power, speed, adequate lighting, electric start, narrow frame, reverse and other things, A good mix may be to slap a banshee stroker into a Raptor frame, but really if banshee is gods gift to you then who cares, I personally have ridden the sh:t out of banshees and love the power but,anywhere but wide open roads or dunes and your just wishing for something else.

Old 08-22-2000, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer

Man you must be pretty slow, like I said I am not attacking the Raptor I am just saying it isn't for me because it will not produce that exciting power band of the Banshee so take your time and read this so it will sink into your head!

Old 08-22-2000, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

FOREMANes,

I think you have a very good point. It's useless to argue with those who haven't the ability or desire to reason with logical points. When all they can do is name call, cut down or slur any other way, it's usually a pretty good sign that they are at a lack of words or points that will further their side of an argument.