Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

For you Raptor owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For you Raptor owners

I’ve been thinking for a while and wondering.
I notice most of you guys on here the first mods you drop into your Raptors are exhaust jets and air filter but in stock form the Raptor doesn’t handle all that well even with a stock motor the Raptor can be a handful to keep on all four wheels on tight fast trails gravel pits or a track. So I was wondering why more people aren’t interested in upgrading the handling of there machines so when the power is upped you can use all of it all the time and not just when you’re going in straight lines.

As you can see from my mods I’m only interesting in upgrading the way it handles then I’ll think about adding more power.

Just wanted to get other peoples take on the way they like to upgrade there raptor.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well for me, I ride mostly in dunes, so the handling is sufficient for me. I'm either going really fast in a straight line, or not so fast in a straight line. I'm not turning sharply and jumping often. And not to mention that its cheaper to do the exhaust, filter, jet mods first.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I am actually going to drop a grand or more in my suspension. I have spacers now that help with the sliding but I want a arms and shocks to help also. I wish I would have started with the suspension though. My raptor has plenty of a$$

Old 07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Most people have that nasty itch for more power. I have it really bad. I just havent been able to scratch it yet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Well i honestly dont want to be going that fast around corners! Raptors are so top heavy as they are that all that force going around a corner will make that think roll if you aren't careful. I usually ride the dunes and the only time i can or want to use all the power is when im dragging up a hill or something. Other than that, all of my buddies have smaller quads that wouldn't be able to keep up with me when we are just cruising along if i had the throttle pinned the whole time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I will eventually upgrade my suspension, but the speed is sufficient for my needs right now when dragging.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah the raptor is a handful to keep on the ground.
I got some 2+ arms and some Elkas to install. This
is my first mod on it. Didnt have much choice in the
matter, thanks to the raptors wheelie capbilities.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

When i had my Raptor the first mod i did was shocks, then i bought the pipe and filter.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I went +1 when I got my new rims and tires.
I like it narrow for the tight trails,,,which is primarily what I ride.
I like narrow. Go faster thru the trees.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

For me it just really came down to the dollar bill. for less than $300 I did the mods you described. I just cant afford to do the $uspen$ion, A arm, $wing arm mod'$. As far as handlig goes. I just have to work a little harder and be a bit more observant.

Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the pipe and filter I put on a set of +2+1 A arms and a +5 X33 axle. Now I'm going to get some more power into the beast. When my money runs out, the next step will be new shocks.

Quick Reply: For you Raptor owners