Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

This has worked for me for the last 20 years, and I have never had one stolen, been broken into, but they never took my quads.

I always take the front wheels off and lock the lugs in my tool box, you can't steal a quad without wheels.

It takes about 5 mins before I go to bed at night, I also simply remove the spark plug too, bingo can't start it or push it.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

due to lack of seating and extreme fear of theft i always just pull all mine into the living room. I really dont need to worry about them being stolen and when i have company over, there is always a seat somewhere..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

I leave mine in the garage and unplug the garage door opener, almost impossible to get in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you make it too tough to take it, then they may vandleize it, which is just as bad.
Ive taken a permanent marker, to the inside of all the plastic pieces, and wrote my name and phone number. If it gets stolen, everything is marked.
Best tip Ive heard, is keep it out of sight. Thieves are criminals of oppertunity, most are spur of the moment decisions on who to take from, if yours is out of sight, its safer.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

i have seen a raptor with a alarm system on it, so when you touch it the alarm goes off

Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
you could just get good insurance and sleep a little easier
You ever tried getting insurance on an all aftermarket quad? No one wants to touch them and they refuse to write a policy. I have 2 all aftermarket race quads that cost well over 15K each to build and no one will insure them. I even had my agent contact Lloyds of London and they would not insure them!!!

If anyone knows of someone who has found an agency that will write a policy on aftermarket quads, please let me know, thanks!!

Old 08-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ward660R
I always just break something internal and tear the engine apart so nobody will want to steal it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] LOL

If your going to use a chain that would be the thing to have, but nothing is 100%.

If it was me, and I parked my bike on a concrete floor (which I do), I would put an anchor bolt in the floor that will stick up through the frame in front of the engine, then cut a peice of 1/2" plate in a circle shape that will not fit through the hole in the frame. Then drill cross wise through your anchor and put some sort of receiver hitch lock through the hole. You just about can not cut one of those off with bolt cutters...I couldn't, but anthing is possble I guess.
Just don't leave your Sawzall next to it in the garage.

I've cut through locks (for lost and forgotten keys) before with a cordless 9.6v jigsaw in less than 10 minutes.

It isn't about "Thief Proof" it is about deterant and not baiting a hook.

Leaving a quad in your yard in plain site with the key in it is asking for trouble.

I may check into those motion alarms too. Quads are on the trailer in my locked garage but, if I ever left the door unlocked or accidentally open it would be nice to have an audible alert.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Lomax
due to lack of seating and extreme fear of theft i always just pull all mine into the living room. I really dont need to worry about them being stolen and when i have company over, there is always a seat somewhere..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Post a pic of your quads in your living room, i have gotta see this.

also i like the idea of marking/etching the insides of plastics etc.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: briansgi
Originally posted by: Bingyou could just get good insurance and sleep a little easier
You ever tried getting insurance on an all aftermarket quad? No one wants to touch them and they refuse to write a policy. I have 2 all aftermarket race quads that cost well over 15K each to build and no one will insure them. I even had my agent contact Lloyds of London and they would not insure them!!!If anyone knows of someone who has found an agency that will write a policy on aftermarket quads, please let me know, thanks!!
I have replacement insurance that covers the aftermarket parts if I keep receipts. Your problem might be the racing part, my insurance isn't any good if I wreck on a race track. I could not find insurance that covered equipment of any sort when it's involved in a racing event.

Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

This may help:
https://atvconnection.com/atvconnect...unes/locks.cfm

Quick Reply: ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen