Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

I had an idea for those of you with alarm systems in your house. Mount a contact magnet on your quad and a window or door sensor where you store your quad. Arrange the contact and the magnet so that when your quad is parked in its place, they are in sensing range. If your alarm is armed and they move the quad even 1 inch it will set of the alarm. I am sure you could also rig some sort of a "wire loop" to run through your frame if you do not always park your quad in the same place. What do you think ??

Old 08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Originally posted by: briansgi
Originally posted by: Bingyou could just get good insurance and sleep a little easier
You ever tried getting insurance on an all aftermarket quad? No one wants to touch them and they refuse to write a policy. I have 2 all aftermarket race quads that cost well over 15K each to build and no one will insure them. I even had my agent contact Lloyds of London and they would not insure them!!!If anyone knows of someone who has found an agency that will write a policy on aftermarket quads, please let me know, thanks!!
I have replacement insurance that covers the aftermarket parts if I keep receipts. Your problem might be the racing part, my insurance isn't any good if I wreck on a race track. I could not find insurance that covered equipment of any sort when it's involved in a racing event.
When I did my research on insurance, I did not ask for comp coverage, all I wanted was coverage for theft and no one would touch it. Your quad must have started out as a manufactured quad like a Yamaha YFZ, mine is built with all aftermarket components, frame, shocks, etc., even the motor is out of a CRF450 dirt bike. Therein lies the problem, without a baseline no insurance company would insure it because they said they did not know the value of the item. Even though I have all my receipts they still would not touch it. When you start with a manufactured quad like a TRX450 or the YFZ, that is the baseline the insurance company will go by deciding it's value.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

take the front or rear tire off every night and put it in your house. i guarantee they wont steel it without the tire.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Look on my site, have my rotty hooked to my bike....hell sometimes he won't even let us ride.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Just take off the handle bars LOL.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer

Titanium cable lock with teflon coating:

Mega tough to cut, almost impossible to saw. Very expensive and very tough to find though. But a regular steel block type cable with teflon coating is also tough to cut. They can be cut but it takes a long time.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: SEMO
Originally posted by: Lomax
due to lack of seating and extreme fear of theft i always just pull all mine into the living room. I really dont need to worry about them being stolen and when i have company over, there is always a seat somewhere..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Post a pic of your quads in your living room, i have gotta see this.

Ok so maybe i was streching it just a little bit, ( thats what i would like to do ) I keep them up here at my store when i am not using them because they are behind 3 locked garage doors and there is a security system. when i kept them at home i had a Pit Bull and a logging chain that always kept mine safe. I started keeping them up here at the store because ATV theft when off the charts around here a few months ago.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i think NETIME a hot chick whips out a gun and start shooting at u.. u'd **** your pants and run for the hills.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1Toby1
I leave mine in the garage and unplug the garage door opener, almost impossible to get in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Unplugging the door opener will not do that much, you have to remove the latch release rope. A drill and 3/8 drill bit along with a coat hanger can get into any garage.

I have investigated thousands of insurance claims, there is basically nothing that can be done, if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

I still have not figured out why quads do not have wheel locks like motorcycles. But most quads can be picked up with the right amount of muscle too. I deffinatly believe if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. I have thought about somehow hiding a GPS tracking device somewhere on the quad and then if it does get stolen just call the cops or show up at the little bas&%@s house with some friends and take it back and add a little payback in there also. I havnt researched this too much and am not sure if its possible, so if anyone knows anything about this let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: ATV Thief Proof Techniques, in other words how to make your ATV very hard to be stolen