Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I DROPPED A WASHER INSIDE THE CASE... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I DROPPED A WASHER INSIDE THE CASE... HELP

My buddy and i were rebuilding the top end on his 99 yz 125. We got everything off and we were pulling the jug off, and it wouldnt come because the upper motor mounts were in the way. The bolts had to come so on the last bolt the washer fell inside the motor where connecting rod slot is. We are thinking to pull the case, but i dont know how much work is involved in that, and i dont want to really get into it if it is a lot to do. Is there ANY other al;ternatives to splittin the case??. Any input will help please. thank you.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think thats about the only way to go about doing it man. Thats what I would do anyway, it's better to be safe than sorry. You will have to take the whole engine out to do it, but it's a dirt bike, it isn't going to be that hard. I've had to take the engine out of my Wolverine several times, and thats a job, but I could get it all done it about two days if I wanted to, so it's not going to take you that long. Splitting the cases is going to take the most time though, be sure to do it the right way and keep it even all the way around when you do and dont beat on it too hard, it will crack the cast and you will be out of a case. Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Tip it upside down and shake it. lol

Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

magnet!

Old 08-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I know how to solve your problem. The problem is oil in the bottom end is keeping the washer from falling out. Get yourself some kerosene and pour it in the bottom end. Slosh it around. Then tip it upside down and the washer will fall right out.

The kerosene won't hurt a thing.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

i will try all of those ideas but, the washer fell inside the slot where the connecting rod goes into, between the crank weights, or balancers or whatever you call them, and when you try to kick the bike over the kickstarter will not move. it is jammed. all that i have to say is %$^& it was my fault i dropped it and i feel super bad, do you think the tipping it upside down will work, because you cant see the washer at all. any more input would help and thanks for your comments guys.

Old 08-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

can you see it? If it is between the connecting rod and crank then try and move it out with a long screw driver and when you get it unstuck, tip it upside down and it should fall out.. You will be able to get it out somehow, it might take a while but it's better then splitting the case..

good luck!

Old 08-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

they sell special magnets at sears to handle this problem

link to magnet/tool that might help

Old 08-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

This might work, get some square or round rod steel. That's about the same size of the space of the rod slot.
I would heat it up and bend the tip a bit 90 degrees or what works. And lightly tap it against the washer and see
if it will move it. If not I would think your spliting the case.
Let us know how you came out on this. Good Luck.

later

Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

like everyone else suggested i would try the magnet. but if you do have to split the cases just make sure the tranny shifts through the gears before you go any futher.

Quick Reply: I DROPPED A WASHER INSIDE THE CASE... HELP