Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

sell quad for sumthing better or keep it

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sell quad for sumthing better or keep it

i have a 1990 yamaha warrior w/ mods below i just bought it from a guy 2 weeks ago i have alrdy had 5 springs break on the recoil starter and had to replace starter relay and battery and i think it may need a rebuild i gotta take it up to the shop to get it compression checked if i sold it i would probally sell it for around $1800 becuz the quad is in mint shape the guy i bought it from babyed it and i would sell my 230 for lik $800-$600 so i would then have $2600 altogether but then my mom would take $400 becuzshe gave me that much to help me pay for the warrior so i will have either $2100 to buy a used quad lii maybe a used ex of z or sumthing or get a job up in town near my house and use the 2100 as a down payment on a new banshee or raptor 660 which brings up another ? how often do u need to rebuild a bansheeif u keep it mainly stock and use it for woods riding i now there not the best trail quads but i think if i were to drop down a tooth or so on the front and get a nice set of pipes and some holeshots or razrs it wont b to bad even tho some ppl might say the raptor if a better trail quad wat do u guyz think and i usally rid it almost every sunday and some trips down to majestic in pennsylvania
P.S. if i got a job it would only b on the weekends cuz my dad dosent want it to effect my skool work btu i would b working as a bus boy getting paid uner the table too i gotta go check it out and apply and c where things go from the first paycheck becuz if i get paid atleast $150 a month im set becuz i a new banshee is 6099-2100=3999/24(months)=$166 monthly payments and i cut the grass at my gramas every week for 25 and at my house for 20 and when it snows if i shovel the drive way 2 times i get 20 do u think i should quit while im ahead and keep wat i got or try and talk my mom into this crazy idea??? sry for the looooong post

Old 09-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

personally i would suggest.. If u want a faster quad then

SEll ur warrior get as much as u can sell ur 230 get as much as u can pay ur mom get ur job work for a month see what u bring in that month.. then.. if u have over 150 a month then this is what u should do..

Go find a used bike like a 99 -2002 banshee or a 2002 -2003 raptor anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 get a loan for the amount the bike will cost.. put 1,000 dollars down on it then put the rest of the money in ur bank and dont touch it(reason i say this is because u never know what will happen and u may need some money to cover payment if u dont have a job.. then u get the loan for 3 or so years so ur payments are around 100 bucks a month.. have ur mom add insurance to it along with one of your cars and it only costs 20 or so bucks a month.. then u are only paing 120 125 a month .. therefore you still have money to pay for gas to ride it and maybe save up for mods.. ..

Reason i say get a used one.. you pay alot for a brand new quad and in the first year the value.. (according to book) decreases 16% or sumthing like that and then every year after that its only like 3 or so % .. for example.. i bought my 02 raptor one year ago for 4700 bucks it had yoshi exhuast k/n filter nerfs and paddle tires it ran perfect and everything was awesome on it.. i put 1,000 down and my payments are like 98 bucks a month it will be paid off next year..

another thing. a guy i know has a banshee( hes my neighbor) he owns "gimpracing" gimp racing and hes got 5 or 6 banshees one of htem he has is a 99 low hours has the chrome package(ebay 300 bucks) and has painted plastics the plastics are painted with that pearlescent stuff that changes colors that cost him 900 bucks and he also has it piped with t-5's hes selling it for 3,000 u can pick up banshees pretty cheap and most of them have mods(it will run good in the mountains too) But if u want a more versitle quad get the raptor you can pick up a 2002 for 4500 bucks (tahts in good shape)

also as far as maintinence usually (not in my case) usually 4 strokes require less maintinence.. but 2 strokes are easy to work on.. and as far as the banshee goes there are alot of them and mods dont cost very much they are easy to put on and parts dont cost much plus u can rebuild them cheap..

i had never taken apart a motor before but a week before easter weekend my buddy had his lt500 and he fried teh piston put a hole in it.. so i got it pulled apart took the piston out took teh cylinder got it machined and put it back together and it ran awesome.. there pretty easy..

so the wrap up of all this mumbo jumbo is;

dont buy used(unless ur set on paying that much)
and dont put all your money down on it.. .. get insurance and find a good quad Make up "your own mind" on what kinda bike you want and then do it if u have any more questions pm me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

well i got my warrior going again sooo my mom said she wont let me get another one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] o well i still love the quadi mean it fits me its just even better to have a quad that can kick yur friends *** expaisaly a yfz which aint ever gonna happen on a warrior