Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what are the disadvantages to a have a blaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the disadvantages to a have a blaster

Originally posted by: Ozark38
Its probably the funnest and most affordable entry level sport quad you can buy. Since its a two stroke, you better keep a close eye on maintenance or you'll be rebuilding the top end every year.
Not to start an argument or anything but why do ppl say 2 strokes are more maintenace?

4 stroke maintenance:
1. keep filter clean
2. lube chain
3. change oil
4. adjust valves
5. grease all zerks

2 stroke maintenance:
1. keep filter clean
2. keep chain lubed
3. change oil (less often then 4 strokes)
4. grease all zerks

I don't get it? maybe change a spark plug a lil more often but its only like 2 dollars and 30 seconds of work.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

They are very cheap (not cheaply made, cheap in cost) and in my opinion, they have a lot of potential for the money. The aftermarket parts make a ton of power. Most here are right, though. They're not made for a large person, but you can have a cheap bike that you can hide a lot of power and burn a lot of people at the line and watch thier mouths drop when you stomp them on their stock 300EX or 400EX. But, like everything else, you outgrow it and it reaches that limit and gets unreliable and you have to move up to the bigger bikes. Now though, you've got all this money sunk into it and can't get anything for it. That's for everything, though.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

let me share my opinion from direct expirance. 0n a 2001 blaster lightly modded

oil injector scares me
short, and wayyyy to narrow, needs to be wider.
brakes are marginal, i can lock the rears but they have no feel, my 800lb ute stops 10x quicker
cant go around turns fast becasue narrowness, as where i can on my ute,
cable brakes
bouncy ride a little
no battery, only coil

positive

cheap
reliable- as long as maintained. i just did a top on it, and bored .020 over wiseco, and a new degree key(the woodruf broke, when flywheel loosend).
wheelies
6spd
nimble
2 stroke, with pipes sound sooo nice
suspriseingly fast
easy matience
one word describes my love for 2 strokes POWERBAND

v581

Old 09-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: WheelieKing
Not to start an argument or anything but why do ppl say 2 strokes are more maintenace?
When I say maintaince, I'm mainly talking about top end rebuilds. You see, every 2nd stroke is a power stroke where as a 4 stroke every 4th stoke is a power stroke. The power stroke is what puts the most wear on the top end (combustion chamber). Think of it like a heart beat (its beating twice as hard).......................PLUS! adding to this effect, 4 stokes have cylinder lubrication: oil pump feeds mains to crank to rods to piston to cylinder walls, etc. 2 strokes have NO top cylinder lubrication via an oil pump therefore it relies on an oil injector to mix with the fuel for top cylinder lubrication which is not nearly as effective as the 4 stroke design. Therefore the top end rebuilds are actually part of the maintaince for a 2 strokes and why 4 stokes typically last much longer. So THATS why I say that 2 strokes require more maintenance...................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

They are abit tipsy because they are so small.
But you can fix that.

I extended the swingarm +4 and added wheel spacers and bumped it up to a 240 and port/polish and all that fun stuff. Im about 140 pounds and about 5'9. I can chuck it around like a toy and it has so much power now that I can keep up with a beat alot of other bikes.
I've beaten a piped/filtered z400, 400ex, kfx 400, KX125, KX 250F, and beat a stock shee.

Sure there great for a beginner, but once you get used to it and get more power then you can mod it to make it a awsome bike. I get alot of weird looks from people when i tell them it's a blaster and not a blue 250R. lol

Old 09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Ozark38
Originally posted by: WheelieKing
When I say maintaince, I'm mainly talking about top end rebuilds. You see, every 2nd stroke is a power stroke where as a 4 stroke every 4th stoke is a power stroke. The power stroke is what puts the most wear on the top end (combustion chamber). Think of it like a heart beat (its beating twice as hard).......................PLUS! adding to this effect, 4 stokes have cylinder lubrication: oil pump feeds mains to crank to rods to piston to cylinder walls, etc. 2 strokes have NO top cylinder lubrication via an oil pump therefore it relies on an oil injector to mix with the fuel for top cylinder lubrication which is not nearly as effective as the 4 stroke design. Therefore the top end rebuilds are actually part of the maintaince for a 2 strokes and why 4 stokes typically last much longer. So THATS why I say that 2 strokes require more maintenance...................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I agree, I just hope I never have to rebuild any of my 4 strokes.. what a chore lol.