Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament

Guys Guys Guys i dont know how i can stress this more.This is my wifes machine the oil was checked before the ride all fluids were checked.It is a belt drive so no overreving ,it was going 40mph when it flew to peaces.Oil all over the place,the piston dosent have any skuff marks on it at all.Full of antifreze,servised regulary.No shortage of oil and no overheating.Not riders fault.Again no skuffs on piston just inprint of the head and crack on side from impact.PS there was a new belt put on one week before this happened no overreving,no heating and no shortage of oil

Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

if you cant find an enginge i guess you could part it out? i dont know how much feedback you'd get though it being a utility and all.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I would be willing to bet your motor hydrolocked....then kaboom. Happened to me on my wolverine, I wanted to blame Yama too.....but it was me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Pick up the pieces and start over. Having fun gets expensive.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be very odd for it to hydrolock doing 40MPH. That would require a massive leak or burst. But I guess anything is possible.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

whats a hydrolock?

Old 09-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Mine went at speed but I guess your right, it wasn't a true hydrolock(the cylinder has water in it that stops the piston from moving) that took mine out. My case was full with water and oil. Kinda the same effect but on the opposite side of the piston. Tore it up good. My guess is that it filled up through the crankcase vent when I was crossing the creek the day before. (Flooded it)
Lesson learned for me.

But of course if your riding around with a airbox 1/4 to 1/2 or so full of water and hit the brakes hard....it could hydrolock, depending on the size of the airbox......just a thought.

Old 09-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your mechanic just had a big BC Bud before doing service and blew a few things (including the reef).

seriously, there is a wrecker out here, muddy motors. there's also one in Calgary (different name). I'd start checking with the few bike wreckers there are and see what's available.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

You are arguing that the motor was FULL of oil, FULL of coolant ect, had absolutely no problems whatsoever, was maintained properly, oil checked before every ride? Something is bullsh!t.

A PERFECTLY maintained motor like that will NOT just go and kick a rod for absolutely no reason with that low number
or miles/hours. Stop trying to stress that the motor was PERFECT AND MAINTAINED PERFECTLY and start thinking
who went wrong, and when it happened, what you forgot to check, what MIGHT have happened and try to
come to a conclusion.

Bottom line, a low hour motor that was perfectly maintained with oil checked before every ride will not blow for no reason.
End of story. Go figure out what (someone) did wrong, and then come back and post.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dear Mr350x If a FULLY MANTANED ENGINE WILL NOT BLOW than what happened mine!!!!!! Can you tell me why my piston has no skuffs on it and why the case that holds the needles for the crank berion is not discollored, when it is made of brass.Shortage of oil or heating of any kind would have caused damage to both of those peaces.PS if you know something that i dont i would realy love to hear it. PPS The point here is where can i get an engine and if this happens to you for any reason YOU CANT BUY A NEW ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 12:06 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

I want my mommy! Quit crying and rebuild the darn thing. If you failed to check your fluid levels at the shop while picking your machine up, it is your fault. No properly maintained machine will do that. That is the price of ownership. Deal with it, or find a new motorized hobby. Maybe an electric remote control car is more your speed.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Buyers Beware you could be buying an expencive lawn ornament