Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Got my info packet from MMI, What do you think about going.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my info packet from MMI, What do you think about going.?

I do have a few more ????'s. Did the school help with employment during attendance? How about housing? Pretty easy to get a job after graduation?

Old 10-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

The school does help with housing and employment while u are there and they help u get a job once u graduate. Around here its pretty easy because we are desperate for GOOD help, but i guess it just depends on your area.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

I think that being a mechanic for a living could get old very fast, but if you find the right place to work it would be the job of a lifetime
Unless it's different elsewhere in the country...mechanics around here make next to nothing working for a dealer. Just make sure it's what you want to do.

Most people think that they are going to go to a 12 week (or whatever) class and come out a full blown mechanic. After getting out of the school...you best count on working for someone for at least 5 or more years before you are comfortable. Most people also think that they are going to open there own shop and sell quads and bikes..etc. That takes more loot than you can imagine.

But good luck either way...it's getting hard to find a competent mechanic that can work on all aspects of these newer machines. And I'm not talking the simple two strokes and quads...The newer sport bikes can be quite a challenge.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm a grad from there(1997).
Its a good school, but is like any school; and you can learn A LOT from going. Or you can go and barley pass and learn very little.
Either way... MMI will take your money.

Chances are you will get very tired of working as a mech before to long, and you won't make very good money unless you get fast at it and work on commision.
BUT.... if you move on and do other things like me... i doubt you'll regret going because you can work on your own toys for free and be able to make some extra money on the side when you want.

From going through the school already my best advice is this:

Do not take every elective there is. They are very repetitive of each other and cost way to much money to be hearing the same thing over and over. Most people sign up to take everything and end of finding this out and dropping most electives.
BE AWARE: MMI did not use to charge you anything for dropping courses. But i hear they do now... so check on this ahead of time.

Attendance is more important than grades there! Most shops looks for attendance then grades.

Plus if you go to AZ location.. Glamis is not to far away.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Or......you can do what I'm doing....I'm going to ISU to be a Mechanical Engineer(3rd year student) and then I'm gonig to end up working for one of the big companies........possibly someday becomming a test engineer!!!!

Old 10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

My boyfriend went to UTI and was recruited to work for Porsche immediately after he graduated - they sent him to Porsche school for six months afterwards, and he and his brother make GOOD money - and they are only 23 years old. I also know many people who went to MMI and they have all said it's one of the better schools to attend for that industry.

One thing to keep in mind.......if you are talented and very good at mechanics, you can do very well in the automotive industry........the motorcycle repair business does not even pay half of what the automobile repair business does. You make good money if you can work the "flat rate" system to your advantage......if you are average, you will be working hard to just stay afloat. I worked at a motorcycle dealer who's top tech was paid $12.00 hour on a flat rate system......the only guys that made good money were the ones that were quick, experienced and knew how to work the system.

So......I guess what I'm saying is.....if it's in your blood, and you really love wrenching and you are good at it, you would like being a mechanic......but you have to REALLY like it to stay with it - it's hard, dirty, and sometimes dangerous work......

Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

$12.00 hour on a flat rate system
I work as a consultant....so I know all about negotiating rates. I might have misunderstood the post...but I sure hope you were not inferring that $12 an hour is good money? Especially since the "flat rate" system usually means you pay your own benefits.?

I would not even consider taking a job for 3 times that right now. At least not in NY where I live. One of my best friends is a mechanic here in NY...graduated from MMI. He does not want to do it anymore...trying to raise a family on piddly wages. (he has changed jobs more times than I cn remember) When he is a smart guy and deserves more...Oh well.

Like mentioned above...it is in your blood and your good at it...you will succeed. But call me biased. I am an electrical engineer/computer science major. (Well at least I was ten years ago) I all for someone going to a good college for 4-6 years and getting it over with.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you get experience and open your own shop you can make very good money. But its a major expense and risk of course as it opening any business.

With the school being 1 year roughly... your not taking to much time out of your life to do it.
And even if you decide to do somthing else later, being able to work on your own stuff and others for extra cash is always good.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

My thoughts exactly reaper. I just turned 18, I'm young enought still to try it out for a few years and if I don't like it, than I'll do something else. I do know it will be a helluva lot better than my current job(fast food)!!!

Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

sell them or finance them, never wrench on them. More money.
I have a relative who makes $125,000 in the finance dept at a dealership. The mechanic makes $30,000.