Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Might be buying an '00 Warrior-what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:14 PM
WAB
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be buying an '00 Warrior-what to look out for?

I am going to look at a 2000 Yamaha Warrior tomorrow. It is local, but was on eBay 3 times and did not sell. I have built a few custom freestyle standup jetskis, but know nothing about a 4 stroke quads (yet).
What are some areas that tend to break first, what to look out for, etc?

Here's some history on it: Talked to the dad of the kid yesterday. The 16y.o. kid took it all the way apart with the help of a neighbor, painted parts, upgraded some parts (not positive what), and put it back together.
-The good: new rear tires, fresh paint on plastic and frame, some aftermarket parts like a pipe, not sure what else. Starts, runs, and idles good.
-The not so good: it backfires, has a bolt broken off in the cylinder for the exhaust manifold, brakes 'quit' working and they don't know why.

If I do not buy it, they plan to part it out on eBay. He's asking $1100, but think I might can get it for possibly $900 or so. decent deal?

Old 10-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

wow hes allready did all that damage to a 2000 model well as you said 900 would be a good deal cause it sounds as if your gonna have to throw some cash in it but if you get it for 900 you could put a grand in it and do tons and then you got almost a brand new quad for 1900

Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 PM
WAB
Weekend Warrior

Haha, I don't know what dad was thinking letting a 15-16 y.o. take it totally apart. Jeeez. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I am not wanting to dump a grand into it, just repair or replace the brakes, rejet the carb, helicoil or back out the broken off bolt. They say that there are enough threads to get a nut on it. I might can dremel a slit into the broken bolt and use a flathead to back it out. might be enough to grab with some vicegrips........ Will have to see if that is feasable.

I have not seen it in person yet, but just wanted to get an idea of what to look out for.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM
WAB
Weekend Warrior

It was pretty bad, the kid had taken apart a perfectly good quad to pain the frame because he was bored.
missing bolts everywhere, some broken off. Don't want to get into those problems........

Old 10-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if I would trust a young kid doing that stuff...

Old 10-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: WAB
It was pretty bad, the kid had taken apart a perfectly good quad to pain the frame because he was bored.
missing bolts everywhere, some broken off. Don't want to get into those problems........
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] wow well next winter i plan on (if i have the money) stripin my quad and putin it on a diet so i can race the next season and im only 15 now 16 NEXT( not 2 mothns form now but 14 months from now) winter the brakes not working is prolly from not bleeding the brakes right or enough... or low fluid...