Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wooden ATV Jump

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wooden ATV Jump

Has anything built one? or wouldn't it hold together?
I am getting sick of jumping field indrives and i almost never have anyone to ride with so i end up riding around my farm so i figured maybe i could build a jump to trick off of.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wooden ATV Jump

on a farm wouldnt it be easier just to find a small hill and make a lip on it?...or just a dirt jump...

Old 10-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wooden ATV Jump

I only have 5 acers and it's all buildings and two large baby tree groves. so i really don't have a spot to build up dirt

Old 10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wooden ATV Jump

i dont see why it wouldnt...just have it built WELL...lots of support. last thing u need is it to snap in half when ur doin 45 off of it.

quick question...ur on a farm w/ only 5 acres? wtf kind of farm is it. i live on a dairy farm and we got 200 acres (ct), its alot for riding in this state...

Old 10-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wooden ATV Jump

i made a 5 ft wooden jump made outa pure scrap and it held up pretty good til i launched my 250 off of it and it snapped in half. just make sure u build it correctly and if u can make a dirt one

Old 10-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wooden ATV Jump

Originally posted by: 4x4zealot
i dont see why it wouldnt...just have it built WELL...lots of support. last thing u need is it to snap in half when ur doin 45 off of it.

quick question...ur on a farm w/ only 5 acres? wtf kind of farm is it. i live on a dairy farm and we got 200 acres (ct), its alot for riding in this state...
Well I guess i can't call it a farm anymore without land.
We've still got the building but I have no time to raise animals anymore
so now i guess it's just an acerage.

I'm temped to build the frame out of steel. The Idea of hitting something at more then 30MPH that weights more then 400 lb seems like a pretty big blast for wood to take.
Does anyone know of a web page that has jump plans you don't have to pay for?

Old 10-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wooden ATV Jump

i dont know of any web pages that have any plans... id imagine some plywood w/ several 2X4 braces would hold up well... but then again steel is much more reliable.

what kind of farm was it anyways?

Old 10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Range Rover
Default Wooden ATV Jump

I have built a small wood jump. Really small, not near as big as my dirt jumps. It held out great. It was fun jumping it because it was always a smooth and level take off.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wooden ATV Jump

I got it for you.. ive built many many skateboard jumps.. it is hard to make 1'' plywood curve.. so heres your shortcut... get ¼'' plywood the size of the jump and get about 4 to 6 sheets of it.. maybe more.. to support your weight.. then you curve the 1st peice of your ramp then make it stay like that.. then curve your second piece ontop of the 1st then you use glue.. and screws to hold it in place. do this for all the other pieces too!!!! thats the top of your ramp... okay as for the base.. make a right angle of 2x4's make about 4+ of them to support the base and the lip!!! then you screw it together.. the next step is to support those 2x4's so you clost the 90 degree angle to make it a triangle. This will help it from falling.. collapsing.. the 2nd to last step is to put a 2x4 on the bottom so that the angles holding up the ramp dont bend!!! The last step is to make the take off more flush so you can glue your last piece on the bottom to make it nice and smooth.. you got yourself a jump!!!!

Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Wooden ATV Jump

I layed down several logs with different circumferences, one might call it "girth." and then just nailed a big sheet of plywood into the logs, following the slope. It was also built on the front side of nice sloping hill so it didn't have to be mammoth in size.

Quick Reply: Wooden ATV Jump