Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Problem. Pull in clutch axle spins...let go of clutch axle spins

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Problem. Pull in clutch axle spins...let go of clutch axle spins

I got a raptor and i just got it back together. I think I am having a serious clutch problem. I fired it up and let it break in and then I pulled in the clutch to check the tranny. When you pull the clutch in the axle rotates about half a revolution and then stops. Once you release the clutch lever the axle spins until you let go of the clutch like it is in gear?? I wanted to get some suggestions before I drained the fluids and pulled the cover. Is the clutch worn out. Once you start to pull in the clutch there is a noise. I measured the frictions and they were within specs put the person who owned it left the cushion spring out of it.. Let me know your thoughts...

Old 10-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it work when you ride it. Does it slip. check you clutch adjustment

Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

it is up on the stand now and have not rode it since i put it back together. as soon as you grab the clutch the axle locks up like it is in gear

Old 10-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

THe noise can be dscribed as a grind and then a clunk. The one way was just replaced and the trans was just replaced with 02 parts. I start the engine up with the clutch pulled in and there is no issue. Upon releasing the clutch you can hear the engine rpm decrease like the clutch is pulling the engine down.When the bike is on the ground and the engine is running. It seems like the clutch is not engaging. when the bike is not running in N and the clutch pulled it you can sometimes push the bike and other times the engine starts to turn over like it is in gear.
Do you recoommend getting a new clutch I have adjusted the clutch every which way to try to get a base line. I rode it in the back yard because i wanted to see what it would do. IT would take off fine and then have a slight grind once releasing the clutch. When i went to pull the clutch in to slow down and stop it would pull the engine down and cause it to stall. Thanks for any help

Old 10-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the clutch is not letting go. Take the clutch lever & spring off so you can rotate that vertical shaft with your fingers. Make sure the veritcal shaft (yamaha calls it a AXLE,PUSH LEVER #20) is rotated all the way (clockwise I believe). This takes out all the slack in the "throw-out bearing." Then reinstall clutch lever & spring.

After my complete rebuild I was headed out for the first test drive and did not have it rotated all the way out. Mine would not roll in gear with clutch pulled. It SHOULD roll in gear with the clutch pulled.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

My Rap brand new would spin the rear tires on the stand with the clutch both in and out. Worked fine on the ground, never any problems. I think even with the clutch pulled, you will still get enough drag to spin the tires if they are off the ground on a stand. It should be fine.