Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Building a Banshee MX Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 03:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into buying a lightweight, nimble, near perfect handling, very fast 2-stroke MX quad. In the magazines, I see MX banshees such as the ones that raced up Pikes Peak. They were running aftermarket frames. If I wanted a quad like these, what would it take? How much would it cost? What would it weigh?

Buy a new or used banshee, buy the frame or frame components, have the motor sent to Trinity for a 70HP kit, assemble the quad myself?

I'm just seeing what my options are at the moment. I'm not sure the weight of the Raptor would be good for MX and the cost of the motor mods may be high as well.

I'm also looking into a 250R machine with a 400cc kit.

Old 09-05-2000, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it, Scooby!

By the way, never did see details posted of your disagreement with Bombardier on your cracked cylinder. Were you denied warranty service? If so, why? What is the current status?

I hope you settle the matter to your satisfaction.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-05-2000, 07:29 AM
Range Rover

Pikes peak Banshee's are far from an MX setup!They are set up like TT/flattrack bikes.Aftermarket frames arent any lighter but they are a lot stronger.Actually the MX banshees run a TRX frame design with banshee motor,plastic etc..The sky is the limit as far as price goes.For a full on chassis and motor$8-10000 easily.

Old 09-05-2000, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Dude, why do you need a MX quad?. I've seen you ride several times at Rocky ridge...all you do is go in a straight line. That's if you are not working on that yellow slug.

Old 09-05-2000, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

Ignore ccarpe1 ! Everyone has to start somewhere. I would not by a banshee and trick it out and hop up the motor. They are plenty fast as is. Learn to out ride it stock. And if you really want to start with one the is hopped up- buy mine!!! you can get specs and photos at my web page. Later!

Old 09-05-2000, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Scooby if you really want a MX quad for MX racing you should check the regulations, there is a limit to the displacement of 2strokes in certain classes. Unless you want thrown into the Open class with all of the big crazy modified stuff.
But if you just want a good built banshee, build it for where you ride. Upgrade the suspension, A-arms, swing arm, axle carrier, and the engine and you will probably be very happy. But if you are serious about racing call some one like LRD, Trinity, or CT racing. They will help you out.

Old 09-05-2000, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ccarpe1, You just answered your own question! Did you get your Raptor yet? I'm headed over to Central Yamaha right now to look at one.

Old 09-05-2000, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooby, since I live in phoenix, I looked into this by calling Lone Star Racing. They can basically get you a rolling chassis for around $7k. Find a donor motor/electrical/etc bike and there you go. Whether it's mx/flatrack/desert/xc they can set the chassis up for you.

The only question would be, is it worth the $$$. Unless you're going to race at the upper levels, it's just not worth it. Remember, going fast is 90% rider.

Old 09-06-2000, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, not even a phone call. I am the first one on the list at Yamaha of Texas in F.W. I'm sure everyone is joy riding that sucker. I am going over there today. Let's hook up and head to Rocky Ridge when I get it. My buddy is dying to race me with his DS. Peace!

Old 09-06-2000, 01:00 PM
Range Rover

Ccarpe1 I see you live in Arlington, where? I live in north Arlington near the ballpark...I have seen a 400ex many times at the carwash off of Greenoaks and 360...is that you? It is on a trailer behind a Tahoe or a Blazer. Where do you ride at? I haven't been riding in about a month because of the heat...looks like it should be cooling down pretty soon...Email me anytime your going riding...I would love to go riding...all my buddies sold there banshees and I have no one to ride with!

99 Yamaha Banshee, FMF Fatty, Power Core 2 silencers, K&N filter (soon to be replaced by UNI), shockcovers.

http://www.geocities.com/mgrigsby21/index.html

Quick Reply: Building a Banshee MX Quad?