Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

cleaning carbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning carbs

what do u need to do to clean ur carbs....(take off fenders?gas tank?airbox?

Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Range Rover
Default cleaning carbs

its simple u just strip ur whole frame and then drop the engine and then do them lol j/p its easy takes an hour

Old 11-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default cleaning carbs

quit bein a bitch and do it, do what fasso did and itll take u 56 min at best

Old 11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Range Rover
Default cleaning carbs

It's not too bad. Take off the front plastics and the gas tank. You can leave the rear plastics on, and you don't have to take off the air box but it might make it a little easier. But in order to remove the air box, you need to take off the rear plastics but that is up to you. I think most guys are like me and just loosen the clamps, pull the carbs out of the boots and flip the carbs upside down and rest them on the rubber mat thing that sits under he gas tank. I don't know how far you are going to dig into the carbs, but if you plan on taking the bowls off and this is the first time doing it, make things easier on yourself and go buy a brand new philips screwdriver. If you use an old one, you will almost certainly strip the heads, and things become real fun when you do that. You might want to pick up a set of needle nose vice-grips just in case you do strip one or two of the screws. Usually when I clean my carbs, I just take out the floats and the plunger, (make sure to use your new screwdriver to take out those screws too,) and spray everything with carb cleaner. After that I start putting everything back together. It is not hard at all, once you get in there everything makes sense and it is a rather simple chore. You might also want to look into getting some allen head bolts for the bowls, it makes it easier to work with next time you dig in there to clean or change jets or whatever. Hope this helps.

-Brandon