Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I need some knowhow on cleaning carb(Warrior)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some knowhow on cleaning carb(Warrior)

Ok it's sitll a lil early and my typing sucks,but please bare with me on this. Before it gets even coder out i've decided to clean the carbs on both our 2003 Warriors.This is my first time doing this and have never seen anyone else do it. Any and all help with this is appreciated...

Old 11-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it without taking the throttle cable off, but it is easier to clean without getting spray all over your quad if you take the plastic side cover off, unhook the cable and then remove the cable after you pull the carb off. Also, you can run a little lube down the cable from the top easier if the cable is off. You will need a Phillips screwdriver for the airbox tube clamp on the back of the carb, and a 12 mm wrench to take the front stud bolts off. Shut the gas off, of course, sometimes I run the motor until it dies to empty it out,less to spill. Open the bowl drain screw to get the rest, and you are ready to remove. After the carb is off, spray it down quick to get any surface dirt off, then flip it over and remove the phillips screws on the bowl, carefully pull apart, the accel pump hangs down into the bowl, don't want to damage it, or lose the spring. While we are on the spring,take a look at it, if it is stock, you will see it is very weak, best thing to do while apart is take a click ink pen spring, you will see it is the same size,but much stronger, and put it in the place of the old pump spring. Now to cleaning !! any brand of carb spray will do, just make sure it has a straw for the nozzle. put that straw into every port and hole, and hit it until you see a spray come out somewhere else, BE CAREFUL, wear eye protection, that stuff burns like a mother in the eyes, and it will surprise you and get your face !! you can remove the main jet, spray out the passage, make sure the jet is clear. get a small screwdriver and remove the pilot jet from the smaller tube in front of the main jet, give it a spray out, when done cleaning all passages, it helps to blow it all out with an air gun, then reassemble. The only tricky part is getting the bowl on while guiding the accel pump rod back into place without catching on the gasket. when that is all together, check the top of the pump rod that is under the plastic side cover, the rubber boot should catch in the groove on the rod, push the rod down a couple of times to make sure it isn't binding, reattach the throttle cable, put the carb back on the quad, try the throttle a couple of times to see that everything moves corrtectly, put the side plastic cover on, hook the gas line back up, ( make sure the bowl drain is closed, and put the drain hose back on ) and turn the gas on and let it fill. start it up, let it idle a bit, the first time you blip the throttle, it may bog, the accel pump may need a time or two to fill up and shoot gas out. Put on helmet, get on quad, apply throttle and roost the guy who is still working on his quad !!! ( j/k, give him a hand and then BOTH of you go riding ) Sounds like a lot, but you can have it all done in half to 3/4 of an hour easy, with very little mess.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

ok my uncle did it to my quad about 1/2 a year ago and it made a big difference... adn after a 1/2 year or riding in everything.. i figured it's abotu time.. ill have to do it next ttiem i go out to my g-pas [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ty alot for the help

Old 11-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

How often does your bike get ridden? Doesnt seem like you need to have it cleaned all ready but I'm no mechanic.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Pretty easy to figure out yourself if you pay good attention. Remember where everything goes and put it back the way you found it. Thats about how I figured it out.