Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why no low gear on the bruin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no low gear on the bruin?

The Bruin has a rated towing capacity of 1102 lbs. All other manufacturers require the atv to be in low for towing.
Some require the atv to be in low just for driving slow to increase belt life. Is yamahas drive system that much better or should the tow rating be ignored?

Old 12-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

With the tow limit, there is also a toungue weight restriction, dont excede that. But if the load is balanced, so theres very little toungue wieght, itll easliy pull that weight...braking well thats another matter. And you can pull much more than that, ive pulled a subruban which weight over 5000 lbs, just be aware...it wont stop very good, if you do that, have someone sitting in the car to use the cars brakes for stopping.. The big reason for the tow rating being there, is the braking.
But the short answer is yes, the yami system is that much better.
The reason is because the belt is always snug on the pulleys, it never goes slack. This means no slippage, burning or wear.The yamis( and some suzis), have a centifical clutch, which takes some of the abuse. But its a wet clutch, and can take alot of abuse before it wears out. On polaris and kawi, the belt, IS the clutch. At idle the drive pulley opens , and the belt falls slack. Then when you go gas on, the drive pulley, while spinning, slams into the belt, which isnt moving, and then tries to get traction and away you go. Because of mechanical advantage of the low range, the slippage and burning isnt as bad.
On a polaris the belt is a wear item, much like brake pads, its meant to be consumed.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

One thing I didnt mention which is the main issue(sorry, dummie me) The bruin does not have a low gear, only high. Doesnt seem to make since to rate an atv at 1100 lbs that only has high gear. Sorry about being confusing. I know what you mean about braking(the expensive way) Ive been caught between a 3500 lb galaxy boat with trailer and an oak tree going down hill.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im sure its a cost reason why, the bruin and the 400 kodiak have only high gear and no low range. If youre gonna do normal uasage, its no biggie. If you plan on lots of hard work for it, then find one with a low range. And if youre into doing hard work with it, then water cooled motors are better than air cooled motors.The mechancal advantage of a low range, makes it much easier on the motor and tranny.
Even though, the bruin only has a high range, that belt will probably last 10 years, with out any adjustments or problems.
I think my 450 kodiak, with a low range, is only rated a few hundred pounds higher, for tow rating.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

As the quad was referred to many times, it is a value laden vehicle specifically made to do basic things. Also no the tongue is not weak, it is just the suggested controllable amount. I went logging and towed well over the limit and with some people on it too. It would be nice if there was a low range so I could use it for plowing. towing, etc. Wow. im curious why you towed a Suburban with your bruin. Was it just for a test?

Old 04-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The suburban wouldnt start, and my neighbor wanted it put in the garage, and it seemed like the easiest solution, to pull it up the driveway and into the garage with the kodiak...piece of cake.