Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping

I get quite a bit of popping when letting off the throttle. Its not a backfire but it does make a "popping" noise. I think I need to tweak my pilot screw up a bit ... or could it possibly be normal to get this with a CT pipe, pro-flow, and open air box. The reason I am a bit confused is my KFX700 with Alien exhaust periodically backfires when letting off the throttle going down a hill and I am sure it needs a pilot screw tweak but it is much more of a violent noise than what the Raptor does. Could it possibly just be how the CT pipe handles back pressure differences or something simlar ... talking out loud here ...

I didnt do the jetting myself ... so, if the pilot does need adjusted can I get to the screws without taking out the carbs ???

Old 12-31-2004, 04:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: twvette
I get quite a bit of popping when letting off the throttle. Its not a backfire but it does make a "popping" noise. I think I need to tweak my pilot screw up a bit ... or could it possibly be normal to get this with a CT pipe, pro-flow, and open air box. The reason I am a bit confused is my KFX700 with Alien exhaust periodically backfires when letting off the throttle going down a hill and I am sure it needs a pilot screw tweak but it is much more of a violent noise than what the Raptor does. Could it possibly just be how the CT pipe handles back pressure differences or something simlar ... talking out loud here ...

I didnt do the jetting myself ... so, if the pilot does need adjusted can I get to the screws without taking out the carbs ???
It is really hard to get to the screws without removing the carbs,,,,,or burning your fingers.

I just ordered a 'Pilot Screw Adjusting Tool' from MotionPro. towards the bottom of the page It will make things way easier.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

So, to clarify, if I order the tool does that then allow me to adjust it without removing the carbs or will I still likely need to remove them ???

Thanks for the help ...

Old 01-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: twvette
So, to clarify, if I order the tool does that then allow me to adjust it without removing the carbs or will I still likely need to remove them ???

Thanks for the help ...
you will be able to adjust the screws while the bike is running,,,,in seconds

Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

How the heck do you get to the pilot screws without removing the carbs? Any pics of how this thing works?

Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol

cali

check out the link earlier

its a 16' screwdriver with a 90 degree at about the last inch

the handle swivels and turns the head

look at the pick

its got an internal shaft that spins

Old 01-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol

okay,,,its 110 degrees and 17" ,,,,,,close

2nd from the bottom of the page

Old 01-07-2005, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

I allways just used a flat head bit like the kind that goes in a cordless drill or what ever its only like 1/2 inch long and its easy to turn but if your not carefull you can get burned . AND thanks for the help on my carb problem about 2 weeks back BING i finally got it took a whille but yea lol.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: 2FAST4URASS
I allways just used a flat head bit like the kind that goes in a cordless drill or what ever its only like 1/2 inch long and its easy to turn but if your not carefull you can get burned .
yep

i actually bought a little tool about that size with a little disc about the size of a nickel attached to the bottom. but, like you said,,,,,the burns suck

im done with it,,,,,i bought the tool

Old 01-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I bought an equivalent tool a couple years ago. You have to be very careful that the screwdriver head is seated into the pilot jet slot or it's no help.

Quick Reply: Getting to pilot jet screw .... popping