Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hole in my piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hole in my piston

Thats a complete bummer man, I feel for you. Good luck on the new build and keep us updated.

Ross and CP are great pistons and I wouldn't hesitate to put either in my bike. If you plan on staying 11:1 I would go with Wiseco though. They have 100-102mm bore 11:1 pistons for the raptor and I have yet to hear of any problems with a single one. I've had one in my machine for a year now with no issues whatsoever. Not to mention they are about half the price of the other alternatives.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I need to find that little piece or pieces that the JE left for me. It was a 102mm and we are going with wiseco I'm pretty sure.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hot diggity damn, those are identical pictures to both my 11:1 failures and 1badRaptors failure and I'll bet several others and many more that don't even know of this website. I've since gone to a 12:1 JE and it's lasted at least as long if not longer than the 11:1's had. Hope it all stays that way.

Hope you find a permanent cure. I'd stay away from the JE at least the 11:1 anyway. I got a good deal on the 12:1 JE and that's the only reason I went with a JE again.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Im telling you guys, wiseco is the way to go for good, cheap reliable pistons. I love my stock bore 11:1. Now Ive only got to torque down my head bolts since its puking coolant out the overflow bottle. I hope you didnt get any more damage from that JE crapping out. Just another reason to go bigger and better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: madracing
Originally posted by: Dfitz
What's the CP?
www.cppiston.com
Mr Mad, friend of Mario [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. Help a guy out, your addy for the CP piston does not go to a website, can you recheck the addy please? TIA

Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin
Are you running a stock rod?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes I am. I've had a rod failure in the past with a stock bore 11:1 and stage 1 cam. Call me stupid, I do everyday LOL. I've been running this rod for 1 year 8 months with a 686 bore.

Mad, I found the address. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

http://www.cppistons.com/cyclesNEW.htm

Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here's pics of one of my pistons just because, LOL.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Just for sheits and giggles, here's a web page of pictures of my rod failure.

Rod failure

Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Here's pics of one of my pistons just because, LOL.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Just for sheits and giggles, here's a web page of pictures of my rod failure.

Rod failure
Holy sheeeet you dont fool around when you wast an engine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have to ask what kind of RPM was that thing turning when it let lose.

I also want to offer this about the piston mfg issue. It seems to me since having both good and bad experiences with most of those brands (actually no problems yet with ross, crossing my fingers how lol) and from what I can figure they all have their "ooops" and better designs. So use the experiences of others to choose one over the other, but dont forget consider the differences between the various comp ratios within the same company.

Hope you guys figure out how to keep those pistons "un holy" and them rods together cause that kind of damage isnt any fun to repair.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Our pistons look like twins. That's right you did have a little rod failure. I hope I don't get a twin of your rod too. You have a question about the blueing on the cranck in your pics of the rod. Was that ever brought up as a issue or normal.

Quick Reply: Hole in my piston