Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hole in my piston

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in my piston

Dfitz,

Yes, it was a normal thing for the cranks. The new one looked just like it. It was explained to me the blueing is from the assembly process of the crank. I hope you don't have a twin of the rod failure either.

440EX,

It was very low RPM, I was just starting off in first gear in the dunes to continue our ride, I was just about to shift into second when it broke and oil spewed out on the sand. It was an easy take of no hurry. I know of one person who had his rod do the same and was under high RPM racing up a hill. Mine completely locked up lucky for me I was going slow. Also lucky for me the piston never hit the valves or head, no head damage at all from that failure so I guess I was spared some tho my wallet felt different. LOL.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dfitz
Our pistons look like twins. That's right you did have a little rod failure. I hope I don't get a twin of your rod too. You have a question about the blueing on the cranck in your pics of the rod. Was that ever brought up as a issue or normal.
From what I was told that is normal and mine was the same color. I think they said it was like that from the factory. But, who really knows.....

Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know of one person who had his rod do the same and was under high RPM racing up a hill
I think this is me right.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why yes it was. 1 year ago this Martin Luther King weekend if I remember right. Ya gonna be there this year?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Why yes it was. 1 year ago this Martin Luther King weekend if I remember right. Ya gonna be there this year?
Yep, one year from next week!

Gonna try.... Got to show them Sparks boys there is another company building FAST 4 strokes LOL!!!! I get my motor back tomorrow, Bob checked it out for me and did some freshen up and a new timing chain.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Raptorowner, I see by your pic the hole in your piston is on the other side.hehe
In your pic if you look at the top of the cases where the cylinder sits. The holes where the bolts go through it has a loose sleeve that fills the bolt hole. Does the other bolt sleeve stay in the cylinder block? In your pic I see the one but other is missing. The reason I'm asking is because I took my cylinder and piston to the guy who is working on it. Now I noticed the one is missing. I will call him tomorrow but I'm hoping I don't need to worry it dropped inside.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well David, I dont really know if I had one on the head or not??? I dont recall one being on the head either.