Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha screws and bolts = crap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha screws and bolts = crap

Anyone else broken like a buttload of screws on their quad? I swear these things are made of freakin cheese or something. I can remember breaking a few in the past, not to mention one of the wheel studs on my 660 (easy fix of course), but I swear I stripped every carb screw I have tonight and broke one of the bolts that holds on the pull start cover. I guess I'm going to buy a handfull of those carb screws and just replace them every time I clean the carb, because it seems like I use vice grips more than I do a screwdriver to get them off.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

Same thing with the screws holding on the thumb throttle, i don't even bother with a screwdriver anymore, a going pair of channel locks and a visegrip and your straight. I broke the head off the bolt for the parking brake adjustment just yesterday.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

yea and now my dad wants me to replace them.... im just gonna ziptie it all....

Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

The breaking isnt the worst part. It really makes you want to cry when you put about half a foot lb on a an allen bolt going into the case and feel it strip out.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like you guys are using a little too much muscle. I know because I have stripped all of those things. I even cracked the drain spout on the bottom of my oil tank by overwrenching.

As far as the throttle housing cover and front brake reservoir, they don't have to be super tight. If they do come loose, you will notice anyways.

For the carbs, you can replace those screws with alan head screws. Less stripping.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

I did a post about this. I had removed the end cap to clean the spark arrester and stripped an allen head, then I was jacking around and taking the racks and plastics off to see how hard it was going to be and stripped the bolt holding the right rear fender to the rack. I had to grind the bolt out of the rack and replace it with a regular nut. Then I painted it so it wouldn't be too obviose. They do suck, That's why any carb or valve work will be done by the stealer.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

They will charge for that crap too probably. It will show up under shop supplies or miscelaneous. I figure I'll go to Lowes and stock up on various size metric screws. Yamaha charged me like $1.10 once for what I would imagine is a 25 cent screw (that holds the tank down) at a hardware store. I was in a hurry, so I just got it, but I'll not give those bastards my dollar again.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Alan screws boys........you can't strip them out(if you do, quit working on your own quad)........For the carb, this is what most people do first, is replace those little phyllips screws with alans.......if you don't want to replace them, use small vice grips..........

Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptor149
For the carbs, you can replace those screws with alan head screws. Less stripping.

Same here, but ever since I did my first carb I have used needle nose vise grips that work everytime. Then the nice nickle plated allens go back in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure I've snapped off or rounded off every type of bolt, screw, nut and other fastner on my Raptor. The hose clamps, carb float boal screws, and every bolt that holds on the front fenders and gas tank along with all of my lugnuts have all been replaced or are in dire need of it.

Quick Reply: Yamaha screws and bolts = crap