Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cylinder for 2000 Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder for 2000 Blaster

Anybody got an idea on where I can find a cylinder for a 2000 Blaster, I really dont feel like buying a new one from the factory, If anybody knows of a atv junkyard or something along those lines that I can pick up a cheap one I'd really appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Why not throw a Vito big-bore kit on it? Comes with new cylinder and piston and everything.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

because vito's sucks??

Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

do a google search for used motorcycle parts there are quite a few m/c quad dealers. or there are allways some on ebay

Old 01-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Shav0
because vito's sucks??
why does vito's suck, they do alot of work for blasters and banshees, they aren't the best but they are pretty good for what they do. Trenga Racing does a whole bunch of work for Blasters but they probably have really high prices.

I would do like 86LT250RFatty said and get the 240 kit, i work in a machine shop and i just put one in for a kid last week, they come with everything you need, but it'd help out more too if you had a rotary tool with a grinder on the end to match up the ports better like i did with the one i put in, it will run without matching up the ports, but you'll get a tiny bit more power if it's done right. I think the kid only paid around 250.00 dollars for the whole big bore kit

oh yeah and you don't have to get the kit with the cylinder, you can just order the sleeve kit that still comes with everything but the jug, that's what i mean when i was saying about matching up the ports, cause i sleeved it then i bored the sleeve out .030 then honed it to .033 because vito's recommends you gives 3 thousandths clearance for the piston and rings

Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

because for less money you can get one with twice as much port work. The vitos isn't ported, all they do is send you a super stock piston kit that alters the port timing.

Trust me, been there dont that. They blow.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

because for less money you can get one with twice as much port work. The vitos isn't ported, all they do is send you a super stock piston kit that alters the port timing.

that's why i ported it before i gave it back to the kid, it's not hard to port them and doesn't take too much time at all

Old 01-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NichelsonRacing87

that's why i ported it before i gave it back to the kid, it's not hard to port them and doesn't take too much time at all
You ported it? And it didnt take much time at all?

Porting is a very demanding and time consuming is not a do it yourselfer kind of project..

"Anyone can go in and hack up the intake and make it bigger but it's more then that. The ports are set up from the factory to have a certian timing in which they open and close. By changing them without knowing what you are doing you could destroy the engine without ever getting a chance to run it. BY removing as little as 1-2mm you can make the cylinder useless. Blowdown times, ECV, exhaust width, which is expecially important becuase by increasing it too much you can cause the exhaust port to open under the piston when it is at TDC. Also things like port width need to be considered to get the max life out of your engine."

Quote from shav0^

IMO Id go get a HWD PD3 BB 240 kit or just get a used cylinder off ebay and send it to Marc at HWD and he can turn your bike into a beast.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thats true. Any idiot can clean up the intake tunnel and get rid of any imperfections from the factory but thats not really gaining you any over all HP numbers. The real power comes the transfer ports and exhaust shape, and as said before proper port timing should always be considered.

I know my way around a 2 stroke very well, and I wouldn't dare try and port one. Like I said before, as little as 1 mm can make the difference of life or death. Imagine this, Your porting the exhaust port and you remove a little too much off the port floor. Because your piston is essentially the 'valve' of a two stroke, when the piston is at TDC the side skirt dosn't quite cover the port and now the exhaust is open to the crankcase. This is going to ruin your cylinder as it will draw exhaust into the crankcase and not to mention ruin the vacuum effect the crankcase which draws in the mixture for the next stroke. . . then what?

Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

I think Vito has good prices and not too bad of products. 1 mm can render your cylinder useless or be death to your cylinder???? I don't think so. Maybe on some ragged hacked out already ported cylinder but not on this guys stock 240 kit. A good portion of hack jobs can be fixed to run halfway decent, but too much exhaust port work can not be replaced.

Motor for motor there is not much replacement for displacement. I agree a stock cylinder can run very strong on less $$$. The vito's kit is nice in that it appears to be a stock cylinder, right down to the same numbers on the casting.

If you do some clean up port work, remove the casting flaws and make sure all the port heights are the same. Concentrate on making steady even cuts and keeping surfaces flat. In general, I wouldn't recommned anyone lower their ports. Transfer work is better left to those with the right tools.

Quick Reply: Cylinder for 2000 Blaster