Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FINALLY got blaster started, smokes then died!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY got blaster started, smokes then died!

after weeks of throwin parts at my blaster i finally got ti started. it sat for 4 years, i got it, put new reeds, rebuild the carb, adn put a oil pump block off kit in it. i pulled it behind a nother quad for awhile and it sputtered a few times and then i finally got it started. let it idle for a few but it smokes sooooo bad its not even funny. im not experienced with blasters much but it covered me adn then floated around in the air, i couldnt let off the gas or it would die. and it revved pretty funny. i put it in gear and road around for a few tryin to kinda blow the cobbs out and stuff and i got back around and shifted down adn it died and i cant get it to start again. i pulled the plug and its fouled. its a brand new plug. the blaster is either bored .40 out or its a 240, the guy wasnt sure when i bought it. the main jet is a 230, i put an open element that slips onto the carb and i put boyesen power reeds. the pilot jet im not sure. its whatever was in the carb b4 i rebuilt it. i put a new needle in it and everything. what do you think? im lettin it sit and dry out for now in my heated garage and ill try startin it again in an hour or so. what about the air screw? i turned it all the way in and then out 1 an 1/4 turn for a baseline

Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like you need to replace the rings or maybee even a new top end

Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

thats what i thought too but its got really good compression. i looked in the intake when i got the reeds and it seems to be in pretty good shape. it ran. started. it didnt smoke as much once i got going but it still smoked.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your are getting good compression then i would have to think its running rich to me .

Old 01-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

i went through the carb again. still seems good to me. im getting fuel. its mixed at 30:1, i looked in the cylinder and it seems good, its not wet or anything. i cant for the life of me get it started again! i pulled the flywheel off not too long ago to clean teh stator. it doesnt move up adn down or side to side at all but i did notice a little tiny movement in btu i figured it was due to the flywheel. didnt haev water or anything in it. im puzzled. its got quite a bit of compression. not sure exact number buts its pretty tough to kick over and i put my finger over the plug hole and it shot off. im puzzled. its winter here and its about 20 degrees so im lettin it dry out and maybe it will start easier.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

If it was in fact a crank seal it would be right right one, not the left on. The right one is inside the clutch housing and is bathed in oil. If that seal was to go oil would be drawn into the crankcase on the compression stroke. It happened to me once, and caused a similar problem that you are experiencing. Pull the clutch cover off and check the seal in the bottom right cornor under the primary drive gear. Someitmes, if real bad it will rip the seal right out of the housing.