Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to the forum - bought a Grizzly 660 - have a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum - bought a Grizzly 660 - have a question

Found these forums surfing the net. Looks like a great place to share some info.

I bought a 2002 Grizzly 660 at a fundraising auction for the school my kids attend. It is a 2002 model, camo, Warn winch. The machine had only 32 miles on it and really loooked brand new. The previous owner told me that she bought it for her husband and he never rode it. The machine doesn't have a scratch on it. I looked underneith and even the skid plates didn't have a scratch. It is truly a "new" machine that had been ridden around the yard.

I paid $4,600 for it at the auction. I think I got a bargain. That price is about the blue book value, but that assumes normal use in good condition. This machine was essentially brand new, camo color with a winch.

What do you think?

Thanks - looking forward to the forums.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

With it being camo and having a winch I would say you did ok.32 miles is new....heck it's not even broke in.One thing you might want to check into is to see if was taken back for the recall.This was for a heat kit that consists of new side panels,insulated fuel line and a panle below the tank I believe.Good Luck
02 650 camo

Old 01-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice! I'll check on that heat kit recall.

Actually I found a problem this morning. I used the Griz yesterday and it ran great. This morning gas was driping from the carb drain line. I'd say about 2 gallons dripped out over the night. The drain screw was tight but it still was dripping fuel. Went to the local Yamaha dealer and a mechanic told me that the carb float was likely stuck since this machine had not been used much. I'm sure the owners didn't think to use gas preservative or flush the carb out between infrequent uses.

The oil looks overfilled also. The mechanic told me that this is likely gas being blown into the oil due to the same reason. I don't understand how this happens (gas in the oil). Can someone explain?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Do not run the quad!!! (at least not yet) After sitting for 3-4 years, the fluids have certainly gone bad. The oil has probably broken down and the gas needs to be replaced. Change all of the filters and check for any dry rot or mildew. If the machine has been sitting in one spot for a long time, the tire plies could separate from one another making a blowout more likely.

Some questions you should ask the previous owner are: Where has the machine been sitting? On blocks inside a heated garage? Or outside exposed to the heat/cold/rain/snow? Is the battery still good? Is the machine started up periodically or it just sits year after year?

My advice would be to drain all the fluids out (gas, engine oil, drive train fluids, transfer case fluids) and replace them. Change the air and oil filter and clean out the carb. Grease all of you fittings. I would flush the radiator, but it might not be necessary if the coolant looks ok.

The gas in the oil is due to a leak in the carb float that doesn't allow the gas to stop flowing. The gas will flow into the carb and down around the piston and into the crankcase. This is not good as it degrades the oil and is a fire hazard.

Hope this helps
Matt

Old 01-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Even after the carb is cleaned out, and the float needle valve is fixed up...turn the gas to off, whenever the motor is off. Make sure you go thru all of the fluid levels, oil, diff lube, radiator, and brakes. The gas doesnt get blown into the oil. Gravity takes over when the bike is sitting, and the gas seeps past the needle valve, and goes to the lowest place. If the overflow tube gets pluged,(its the rubber hose at the bottom of the float bowl) or is higher than the intake tube, the gas will flow down the intake, and if the intake valve is open, it goes down the cylinder walls, washing all the lube off the rings, and settles in the crankcase.
Dont start the motor anymore, until the carb has been fixed, and the oil has been changed.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update: I took it to the dealer today. Just as you said the carb float is stuck due to old gas sitting in it. Gas is overflowing carb and running out the carb drain. Gasoline has also contaminated the oil.

The mechanic will remove the carb and clean it, oil and filter change, and go over the machine for any additional needed service. Thankfully it has the heat kit installed. I should be good to go tomorrow.

I greased all the fittings I could find. Inspected the air filter, it's good. Old gas will be replaced with fresh gas. Mechanic said the coolant and other fluids were OK. The machine was kept in an inside garage.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums! Congrads on the purchase... I see your from my hometown [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Go titans go Vols