Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

low gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low gear

hi all.
i have a friend who has a 600 grizzly and i was wondering what gear do all of you use when riding yours.
i was told by some people that low should be used at all times unless you are going faster then 30mph.
only shift into high gear when your going faster.
what is the concenses.
also what is the fastes speed you can go in low gear.
and does it hurt the belt to ride around in high all the time except when going up steep hills.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default low gear

what nobody has a grizzly on this site.
help me out here.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default low gear

i guess no one rides a griz on this forum.
well i guess this was a waste of time.
thanks for nothing.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default low gear

Whoa....slow down. We'll eventually get around to answering.
The advice for staying in low range on a belt drive, applies to kawasaki trannys and polaris quads.
If you have a suzuki or a/c tranny or any yamaha....then low range is optional.
It has to do with kawi and polaris belts go slack at engine idle, and when you go back on the throttle, the belt slips on the pulleys , until it finds a grip. Because of the additional leverage of high gear, theres much more heat and slip at low speeds. Thats why low is recommended...less stress on the belt.
The belt is always tight and doesnt slip on yami, some suzi, and some a/c ( the non- kawi tranny quads).
On the grizz...he can do whatever he feels like doing, and it wont hurt a thing. The only time i use low range, on my kodiak, is for super slow rock crawling or towing, ....all the rest of the time, its in high.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default low gear

thanks hondabuster.
my buddys bin asking me for the last two days if anyone has replyed so he was getting impatient.
and every time i would look there would be nothing.
we have bin out in the snow lots and going up and down hill and i told him he should use low gear unless he was giving er.
and he was saying that it was reving lots and he thought he was going to hert somthing.
ill tell him that there what you said.
he will be happy to know he dont need to go in low all the time.
thanks again.
ken.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default low gear

I agree.
The times I use low range on my Kodiak, is if I'm climbing some rediculously steep hill, clawing my way through stupid deep mud, pulling something, or just want to use some "finesse" through a technical section. The rest of the time, she's in high range. There's plenty of power to do what I ask of it.
Here's my rule of thumb though: If I was climbing the same hill with my pickup, would I use low range? It's there, why not use it? It gives you better torque, climbs better, and is easier on the machine.
In the area I usually ride my Kodiak, there are TONS of steep hills and trails, so I actually do use low range quite a bit while I'm riding, but only for the sections that are demanding, or will tax the machine in high. Hey.... you have low range, why not use it, and make it easier on your machine? It just makes sense. "Gearing down" is always a good idea for 4-wheeling right? It's no different for Jeeps, trucks, or quads.
Otherwise, for "normal" riding, it's high range all the way.
It all depends on where you're riding, and how demanding it becomes. If you need the torque and climbing/pulling power, or just want to putt along, use low range. If you want to haul butt on an open stretch of trail, use high range. That's why Yamaha gives you the choice.
You have an option with a high/low gear box. Just choose which gear you use according to the trail/conditions, and you'll be happy. (Low for "slow", and high for "fly"). What could be better than that?
Good Luck, and Good riding....

KMS

Old 02-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default low gear

thanks guys ill let my buddy know what you both said.
i have looked at both belts yesterday and i see what you mean hondabuster.
my buddy will be happy to know what you guys had to say.
thanks again.
ken.