Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 kodiak 450 Billet power tip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 kodiak 450 Billet power tip

I just bought this 450 and love it. I'm new to these 4-wheelers but i've ridden alot when i was younger mainly a honda 200 3 wheeler.(you could not wear that thing out) But i did alot of research and went with the kodiak 450. My question is i bought a Billet aluminum exhast power tip. I removed the spark arrester and was wondering what the purpose of it was. Is it illegal to go without it? And also has anyone found any websites for K&n oil and air filters for the 05 model or any place for accessories?

Old 02-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Range Rover

good question, I can tell you about the spark arrester and other wil jump in with the accessories.

the "spark arrester" is what its name implies to, should there be any loose (hot ) particles in your exhaust or a piece of red glowing hot carbon from your piston wants to go and burn a dry grass field, the "spark arrester should stop it.
there are several types, most common are tight mesh screen raped several times around or the centrifugal/swirl channel design which channel exhaust gas and particles hit a dead end or a wall inside a muffler but the gas will find its ay out the tip, example honda XR400.

2 stroke engines are more sensitive to exhaust changes and rely on certain exhaust flow for efficient operation.
you can really choke one down by putting a spark arrester in it,
not true for 4 stroke engines, they are less sensitive to exhaust changes a well designed spark arrester will not rob horse power.

you have a utility quad, which already has a good flowing exhaust, also a fairly loud exhaust from the factory.

on 4 strokes exhaust change will give you a very minor horsepower increase, it is mostly psychological, it is loud as he*ll and you thing you are going fast, but I can beat you with my stock well maintained Kodak any day.
why in gods name would you dickaround with it, are you entering into competition racing?

don't get me wrong this is not personal.
you have heard or read this many times: the loud exhaust will only **** off locals and they will shut down the riding area, then you can keep waxing that nice $400 exhaust in your garage all day long.
again this may not apply to you directly, you may have your own land or ranch, or live in the middle of nowhere, but folks that ride in state park and other public area will learn it in the hurry.

(i most likely just made a bunch of teen age enemies)

Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Range Rover Thanks for the info. The thing is i don't want to make everyone mad and i don't want louder. It's not too much louder than stock but are there any mufflers for the kodiak that will give it a little more power without making it louder. What are your thoughts?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]