Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fuses

i have a 02 big bear 400 4x4. ive been blowing 30 amp fuses.after going through 10 fuses i found out what wire giving me the problem. But i dont kno where the wire goes..i need to kno where i can find a wire diagram ???confused;
i think it on the ignition cause wheen the fuse is out i dont have any power no winch no light no nothing. well thanks for the help[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default blowing fuses

try taking off all the plastics or where ever the wire goes and find out.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default blowing fuses

Sounds like a ground wire. Might connect to a little nipple like thing on the engine somwhere

Old 02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default blowing fuses

HAve u tried putting a 40 amp in it? I dunno much about electrical so im not totaly for sure. Get a bright light and trace the wire to the location. You might have to take sum stuff off first like the plactic. take and nudge the wire and look where ever you think the wire might be going to and you should see it moving a little bit then you will know where it is going.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default blowing fuses

Putting in bigger fuses, only makes the repair more expensive. If the circuit is supposed to have a 10 amp fuse, and it blows, dont replace it with something bigger, until it gets repaired. You have a power wire , going directly to ground, before the wire goes to a load. Look for pinched or exposed wires, touching metal of other wires?
When did the problem start? after winch installed? Does it only happen if the key is on...or will it happen with the key off. How did you figure which wire it was?
Its not on the ground side. If a ground wire gets shorted out, youd never know it, because thats where it wants to go anyway.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default blowing fuses

Everyone, here is a simple sure way to find a short that blows fuses. You won't even blow another fuse trying to find out what caused it. Keep that blown fuse out. Put a test light in place of that fuse. The light should glow very bright becuase it is conducting the electricity that is surging fast enough to blow that fuse in the first place. Now with this glowing light start wiggling wires and also disconnect and connectors in that circuit. At some point (usually within a minute or two at most). You will get to a spot that wiggling or disconnecting will cause the test light to go out or get much dimmer. Wallaaaaaaaaaa! You've hit pay dirt! Now get really finessy at this point wiggling a small amount, being more sensitive till you get to the spot that practically breathing on it makes the light blink. You've found your spot. The harness connectors are handy especuially on a car or something with lots and lots of wiring. You can cincievable split the car in half instantly by disconnecting a main harness connector at midpoint of a car. For instance you have the test light across the parking light fuse which keeps blowing. (good example cuz that circuit goes all over the entire vehicle.) I immediately go in front ofthe firewall and eyeball the wires coming from the headlights/running lights etc. I disconnect the main harness at the connector closest to the firewall. If the light goes out I know the problem is in the front part of the car under the hood. If not I proceed to under the floor of the vehicle along the frame and disconnect the 1st connector I find heading back to the rear of the vehicle i.e tail lights, etc. Now let's say I am under the hood at the firewall and discinnecting puts the light out. Ok. I follow the harness to the fron around the battery or the closes headlight assembly. There should be a connector where the harness splits off to both sides of the car. Right and left headlight assemblies. I disconnect that and again I seperated the right and left side of the cars front end. Just follow the path that makes the test light go out. Evenutally you may even end up at a rusted out and shorted bulb socket.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default blowing fuses

renegade888,
hey thanks alot for the tip..it was a good one..
found the problem it was a cut wire that go cut on the frame. The wire went up to a big electrical box thing, on top of the storage box area.

well thanks for the help guys
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]