Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Cams

redwings, seriously who buys their parts from the dealer???? you never said how much money you were willing to spend. Kenzcycle tech sells the x-4 for around $250 and then the kibblewhite springs are around $160, check ebay you might get the springs cheaper. As far at the pipe i think you can exclude the barkers. You'll have to decided on the CT Racing, Sparks, LTE, and maybe the yoshi for the pipe. AS far as porting, from what ive seen all of the power in a raptor comes from a high quailty porting. You can spend upwards of $800 for a porting. i woudl exclude sparks for the porting. Look into etiher Kenz Cyle tech, or craycraft its around $400. Or if your looking for cheaper, contact rapfam and get in line for his Hammer & chisel head, thats what im going to do.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

A Raptor Big Gun (with a race insert) will flow more then the other pipes recomended above. I have spoken with a couple of builders who recomend it second to only a good duel setup. On a stock Raptor they are hard to tune because they flow too well. Most people just read the Dirt Wheels crap and belive it.

So don't listen to the Big Gun is crap line....it's just BS from poeple that have never rode a properly tuned one.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Cams

UH OH, the newbie has lit a fire. Mr knowitall, i never said it was a bad pipe, it just not designed for anything except a stock motor, call big gun and ask. what reputable builders recommends the use of a BIG GUN exhaust, on a motor that you want to make big power. Seriously though, think before you speak. I guarantee you a big gun will work with ANY motor mod, and stroke, bore...etc. But you one of the pipes i listed, and your gonna see a huge gain in power. If you think i read dirt wheels and post my finding your sadly mistaken. Everything i post is from first hand knowledge. You find me a raptor that makes good power on a big gun and ill eat my words and appolgize. Point in hand, for instance let take FSWs, their was what like 50 raptors that raced all the classes and NOT ONE, had that exhaust, well maybe one but you can bet they were dead last. Look at the facts, all of the top builders use a LTE. Sparks, Barker. CT Racing, or MBRP. you would think their is a reason why they dont use that pipe. Trust me all of the builders and spent tons of hours on the dyno to match exhaust to motors. Big Gun will work but not as well as the other, guaranteed. why put all of the money in a new top end if your never going to reach it potential??

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Cams

Oh by the way, flowing to much air is just as bad as not flowing enough! Its all in the tuning, and the above pipes are tuned for the type of work he wants done.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

Originally posted by: bpotter
A Raptor Big Gun (with a race insert) will flow more then the other pipes recomended above. I have spoken with a couple of builders who recomend it second to only a good duel setup. On a stock Raptor they are hard to tune because they flow too well. Most people just read the Dirt Wheels crap and belive it. So don't listen to the Big Gun is crap line....it's just BS from poeple that have never rode a properly tuned one.
I don't recall seeing anyone here saying that the Big Gun exhaust is crap, they just said that redwings has would not allow him to see the gains that the other guys have seen since they have more of a "race" pipe on their quads. Personally, i do not have experience with any of these pipes, but i'll be getting the Yoshimura Comp series tri-oval pipe for my raptor. I don't have the raptor yet, i'm getting it april 2nd, but i'm definately interested to see what it can do.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

Thanks for the Personal attack CT...and don't call me a Newb...I have been here much longer then you. Obvously you have no experience with Raptor Big Guns because you should be eating your words by now....but it's not worth fighting about.

RedWings....Just place a call to Kenz in AZ (I think they won 4 stroke wars this year) and ask them what the best cam for your setup is. I think you will be happy because they can tell you about the +65hp 686's they build using Big Gun pipes.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

do you have something against dirt wheels .. they did a pipe shootout n a raptor and at the rear wheels the big gun gave it 43.3 with 155/160 main jets... thats nice over a stock35.6hp but its nothing compared to the Ct or Graydon , Trinity, or Yoshi pipes which give up to 48.6 ho on the Ct with 170/175MJ... i trust dirtwheels because they deal with 4-wheelers all the time and they know their sh*t.. one question for the ppl in hewre tho where would you buy your pipe from i got mine from the dealer and i prolly paid too much for it... its a yoshi trs pro series carbon fiber ....where would you find another one and for how much

Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

That comment points out exactly what I was talking about in my first post. Do you subscribe to the “It must be true because they printed it” crowd?

I hope you don’t believe everything you read. DW doesn’t get much of my respect because they do little to earn it. They rarely do fair comparisons; in this case if you read the shootout they spent time tuning some pipes and not others, then used the excuse that they just followed the manufactures recommendation. Some were tested with lids and without lids while others were not. I can’t remember but seems like there were a couple that they didn’t even bother changing the jets on. Each of the pipes may have made similar hp numbers…but we are left wondering because they didn’t take the time to do enough research to provide an in-depth truthful review. This seems to be a pretty common theme amongst most of their stories.

They should have done what they did with the manufactures recommendations and then spent some time with each pipe making adjustments to see what improvement potential each one had....then we would would have something worth reading and learning from.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor Cams

that hilarious, kenz cycle tech is 10 min from my house, ive been their dozens of times, ive never once seen a big gun on his bikes. surely no not 686! yeah as far as dirt wheels, i enjoy reading but their is alot of stuff i dont believe in their. do you really believe in what you read, especially in a mag, thats why their is the forum to sort out that sort of crap. yoshi is a great pipe, i would never buy the trinity, ct pipe the dyno numbers are spot on cuz they matched my bike perfectly when it was dynoed. graydon is also nice.

Bpotter now your telling redwings to bore his CYCLINDER to a 686!! ha all he waned was advice on a cam. why bore with a kenz 686 to make 65+hp

Barker, and sparks are puttin 65+ hp on stock bores. mr horspower is at almost 70 on his stock bore. its all in the porting, and cams

redwings get ahold of kenz get the x-4, i doubt youll like it though, i dont think you run you bike as the hard as the x-4 wants you too. its it all top end, and youll loose alot of power eveywhere except top end, its a race cam. for me the x-4 is the best cam, for my kind of riding. i think youll be much happier with a stage 2. not as much top end but still leaves some meat in the rest of the powerband.

buy the way kenz did not win 4SWS's he tied with sparks, but kenz is a excellnt builder and i highly recommend him.

Old 03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor Cams

Please reread my post....I didn't tell him to get a 686...I just said that a Big Gun flows enough to make 65+ on a 686. I made this point to refute the garbage you are spewing that a Big Gun isn’t good for a modded bike.

If your house is 10 minutes away go have a talk with Kenz...I had this exact conversation with them a month ago when I was in AZ. Their recommendation…some type of duel system (can’t remember the brand) was the best, but at $600 a pop I asked what the best single was for the 686 mods I want to do. Imagine my surprise when he told me that he felt that the Big Gun was the best.

Actually he wasn’t the first builder that had told me that but I had blown the other one off like your blowing me off.

Quick Reply: Raptor Cams