Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?

the hmf is a great pipe, but it is LOUD!!! i love my supertrapp idsx pipe, but most dont. it is tunable, and is not too much louder than stock. it will pass most noise level restrictions. the reality is though, the muffler mod works good, and is not much money to do. it keeps the noise down, and it works!!! you can do it yourself, if you have a welder and a long drill bit. if not, they sell the tips on ebay. for under 20 bucks, you can make the stock muffler like an aftermarket!

Old 03-10-2005 | 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

get a yoshi and get the tec kit i got one and the smallest insert makes it stock the next bigger makes it a little louder and the last is just the spark arrester but if yourl ike me you wont have any kinda of restriction in your pipe at all the only thinig i got restricting mine is the end cap nothing else

Old 03-10-2005 | 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: mich660griz
if you go with bigger tires, you WILL LOOSE POWER. its easy, larger radios, slower takeoff. if you dont ride in lots of mud, stick with 25 inch tires.
Mich is correct any larger tire will make a difference in power even if they are light tires. With 26" tires you will find yourself staying in low range more on slow trails unless you are consistantly running over 20mph. If you decide to go with larger tires a clutch kit would be recommended. Tires really depend on what type of terrain you plan on primarily riding, generally the larger tires are used more for riding in mud. I would recommend either aftermarket wheels or High Lifter wheel spacers, either of these will help the stability out tremendously.

As far as exhaust goes you can either modify the existing exhaust or since you are in regulated areas an option is the HMF EcoSystem exhaust. This exhaust is forestry approved and not very loud but offers a little better performance. Not near the performance of the other exhausts but not nearly as loud, let me say that again, not nearly as loud.

Old 03-13-2005 | 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

The first thing to do is adjust the stock shock setting. Most Grizzlys come off the showroom with the shocks set in the second from the softest setting. Set the shocks on the middle setting. It will help with the body roll issue and make the Grizz handle alot better. The difference is like nite and day. I adjusted mine with a pipe wrench. They make a spanner wrench, but why buy one if you only adjust them one time? One more thing..... you will have to remove the rear wheels to adjust the back.

Old 03-13-2005 | 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean add dielectric grease to the front end? What does that do and how do you do it?

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Unplug both plugs on front diff,apply tune up grease to plug and socket and reassemble. This will keep water from shorting out and corroding contacts. (prevents a problem before it occurs)

Old 03-14-2005 | 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

on top of that, you also can add it to the plug wire. just squirt it in the plug cap, and reinstall. keeps things clean and dry. as stated, preventive percautions.

Old 03-14-2005 | 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

you didn't mention a budget in your post.. if you don't have one (rich) then do whatever you want..

I would look into the new 14" wheels with the new radial mudlites. I can't give a review of them because I havn't had any yet but they sure have my attention. They look awesome! but a bit pricey

If you still have money to burn then look into a jet kit, they all seem to run a bit rich from the factory. You might want a K&N style filter kit with a muffler mod. I am thinking about the end cap mentioned above from Ebay for ~$20.00.

Also I would get a winch if you didn't get one at purchase, you'll be amazed what you use it for. Unpredictable things......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I ride the snot out of mine and the only thing I did was add Dirtdevil 25" tires. Great tire for the price and I use them to rack up the miles without tearing up more expensive tires. If you ride alot I would get them for your stock rims and use them for your "commuter" miles and save the expensive tires for more important rides.

Old 03-14-2005 | 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

With all the good information on the Grizzly would the same hold true for an 05 Kodiak? Expect to recieve this week.

Old 03-14-2005 | 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

red, same info applies to the kodiak. the only thing i am not aware of is if they adjust the floats on the kodiak. they never have with the grizzly.

Quick Reply: Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?