Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:27 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?

I just got my new 05 blue Grizzly. I was wondering what should be some of the upgrades I should think about? I live in Florida and will be mostly trail riding in alot of sand. I have seen a special on the outdoor channel talking about radial tires are the way to go, beter handling?
I love this Grizzly, its alot faster than I was expecting. I was torn between the KFX400 sport and the Grizzly. Man am I glad I got the Griz!

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

ITP mudlights
pipe
K&N
clutch system

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would say the two most important things you can do to your machine are tires and a winch. Now if your mostly running sand the winch might not matter, but they are always handy to have. The tires are a must, I have an '04 Grizzly, and I bought my second set of tires the same time I bought my machine. They will definitely help in the sand. You will lose a little snap with larger tires, but it is well worth it. I run 27" ITP 589's. You could try mudlights or a smaller diameter tire, and keep almost all your low end giddyup. Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:41 PM
Range Rover

Tire and wheel kit for better handling and wider stance. Thats about all I can say, I just got a new 05 myself 3 weeks ago and havn't done anything else.
Somebody on the forum was nice enough to tell me that you need to put deilectric grease (tune up grease) on spark plug boot and front diff plug or it will stall and miss in water. I bought some but havn't put on yet.

Old 03-08-2005 | 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your goin to be running in sand alot. I would look into the prodesign pro flow. It make a better seal in the air box with the air filter. Unlike yamaha's air filter set up. Dirt and sand can get around the stock filter set up and destroy the motor. Not what you want to happen on a new quad. But seriously look into the prodesign pro flow. I'm going to eventually get on for my kodiak and grizz.

Other mods to look at are the HMF exhaust, Better tires ( Radial bighorns, Radial holeshot atr's, Outlaw MST(now out yet so PM me and i can get you in the direction of these tires)) Winch, Wheels, Maybe a lift kit but you probably wont need one. If I was to mod mine I would do these mods.

Old 03-09-2005 | 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: mudwrecker
If your goin to be running in sand alot. I would look into the prodesign pro flow. It make a better seal in the air box with the air filter. Unlike yamaha's air filter set up. Dirt and sand can get around the stock filter set up and destroy the motor. Not what you want to happen on a new quad. But seriously look into the prodesign pro flow. I'm going to eventually get on for my kodiak and grizz.
ProFlow adapter and your choice of filter, UNI or K&N.

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking of staying with a 25" tire because I didn't want to loss any power. Other than the ground clerance, what would a bigger tire do for the trail riding I'm doing? Would a 26" tire take away much power?

Old 03-09-2005 | 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me with the 27" ITP 589 you won't know you lost any power. I have climbed some knarly hills and been through some deep mud and never knew the difference. Plus they make the Grizzly look alot better. Take a look at my pics....

Old 03-09-2005 | 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

if you go with bigger tires, you WILL LOOSE POWER. its easy, larger radios, slower takeoff. if you dont ride in lots of mud, stick with 25 inch tires. now, the first mod would still be tires and rims though. you like trails, so go with itp offset rims. they look great, and add 4 inchs of width to the grizzly. this makes it a totally differant quad. powersliding, hanging in corners, and so on. you can buy tire packages on line in lots of web sights. highlifter has packages that would suit your needs. about 500 for tires and rims shipped.
next, add a better setup in filters. others have told ya what types, and they keep the motor clean. i would do a muffler mod to it, and a filter. the griz runs rich, so you should not lean it out doing this. it adds more power, and is nice to save the money for a pipe, lol.
add dieletic grease to the front end, and adjust the valves, and it will treat ya right.

Old 03-09-2005 | 10:47 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

What is a good pipe that is not to loud? I will be riding alot in the Ocala National Forest and am told that there is noise restrictions. I don't know how they enforce it because last weekend there was quite a few sport quads out there that where pretty loud.

Quick Reply: Just got my 05 Grizzly! What should be the first upgrades?