Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Originally posted by: Rem
Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
i dunno who told u or what ur smoking but diesels DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT push more horse than gas powered cars...diesels are generally built high horsepower yes but thats because there meant to be used for ie. cemis
theyre generally not high horsepower, just really, reaaaallly high torque. like a HP to torque ratio like 1:3
exactly, and there all geared low as heck

Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

1: Diesels have more torque less hp, diesel fuel produces more power than gasoline. But i will have to correct you in that diesels can will and have produced more hp and torque than the gas jobber. They have a much larger potential torque/hp gains than gas can. The problem is that they are expensive to hop up, becuase most of the market is for gas. Banks is in the process of building a diesel racing engine that set the world speed record for a pickup.http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder.cfm Manufactures make chips that you plug into the diesel computer and can gain over 100hp just by pluging it in. No way you will do that with a gas. Just a few examples. The diesel engine is the future of performance in my opinion.
just in case you doubt me I know what im talking about beacuse i take diesel mechanics. Read up on the diesel engine and you will see the benifits.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scooter86
Is it possible, sure. Several manufacturers already have diesel offerings in the side by side class. There are two main reasons holding this type of engine back from atv use though. First, they are a very heavy engine that makes a lot of low end torque, but they don't like to rev out very high. Second, you really need to have some sort of turbo/supercharger to make good HP. That and the fact that diesels are costlier to produce in the first place would put any decent atv at a pricepoint disadvantage in comparison to current offerings. Personally, I think atvs are better suited to higher revving gas engines.

ZimRaptor, I know you are a one of our northern friends, but maybe you should do a little research into what runs the US military. We have several applications of very high horse diesels, the Abrahms being a primary example. Diesel fuel actually has more potential to make power than gas, yet is less volatile. If you could get a diesel to turn high RPMs like a gas motor, I would bet on the diesel to make more HP also.
well put. I agree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Diesal is ok for get you moving, pulling whatever power, but for high performance? I don't believe it will ever be the fuel of choice for high performance. If you look at diesal performace, to gain major performance, some other fuel is added. (like propain, n2o, ether) If you look at the high horespower pulling tractors, alot of them have switched to alcohol. If you want to see horespower, watch a alcohol super stock pulling tractor. Were talking about pro mod size horespower figures,and rear wheel speeds of salt flats racers. Diesals are close, but were talking about diesals that turn 10,000 rpm with close to 100psi in boost. The NTPA had to seperate the two into their own classes because the alky tractors were just plain better.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Kraw
didn't Kawasaki make a Mule with a diesel?

i dunno who told u or what ur smoking but diesels DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT push more horse than gas powered cars...diesels are generally built high horsepower yes but thats because there meant to be used for ie. cemis
translation please?

if you are saying that diesels can't have more hp then a car, then you don't know diesels well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Courtesy of the Dodge website: The Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins Turbo is an inline 6 cylinder diesel engine that produces 610 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600 RPM and 325 horsepower at 2,900 RPM from 5.9 liters of displacement. With Common-Rail Direct Injection, this is one quiet diesel engine.
that's over 300hp. Go to the ford site and see how many hp the new Mustang has, or even the old Camaros.

Diesels don't rev high like gas engines, they are designed to put out more torque then hp. Most new trucks with turbo diesels put out ~600lb/ft of torque and half the horsepower. Usually waaaay down in the rpm range, like below 2000 rpm.

DUDE your comparing apples to oranges.......to compare them together, take the ford 7.3L non-turbo to the 454ss of the same year (closest comparison) And the gas engine is better all over the spectrum. You are correct, Diesels are ment for torque at low RPM NOT HP!. I am a diesel mechanic by trade but I work on everything. The horse power rating on diesels means little to nothing. It takes more Hp just to keep the darn thing running than a gas engine.

A diesel would work good in a HEAVY work quad, but in most cases the quad you own gets it's spunk by fast reving RPM's and in that case a diesel would not have a chance to even be fun.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

One thing to note on the Kawi they had on Mail Call. They were working on models than ran on multiple fuel sources (gas, diesel, even kerosene). I'm sure that would have an affect on overall power, but think how it would cut down on the "I ran out of fuel" factor.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

diesels are becoming more popular around the world, especially in europe. Its just a matter of time before they catch on over here. Same kinda goes for hair, they're just tre4nd setters.
And as far as hp and tq. numbers go i know they are more torque effecient at really low rpms. I wouldnt want one for a sport tho.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBearFX
1: Diesels have more torque less hp, diesel fuel produces more power than gasoline. But i will have to correct you in that diesels can will and have produced more hp and torque than the gas jobber. They have a much larger potential torque/hp gains than gas can. The problem is that they are expensive to hop up, becuase most of the market is for gas. Banks is in the process of building a diesel racing engine that set the world speed record for a pickup.http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder.cfm Manufactures make chips that you plug into the diesel computer and can gain over 100hp just by pluging it in. No way you will do that with a gas. Just a few examples. The diesel engine is the future of performance in my opinion.
just in case you doubt me I know what im talking about beacuse i take diesel mechanics. Read up on the diesel engine and you will see the benifits.
Yep I agree with BigBearFX - I worked on Diesel's for years and they are work horses, but I cant see one in a quad.... I have never seen a one cylinder Diesel yet because I think it wouldnt run because of compression they have to have to fire. The only small Diesel that I have seen run real good was a VW Truck that a buddy of mine built and installed a turbo on it from a VW Gulf. I used to have VW truck Diesel, "You cant rob a bank with one but you sure can save on Mileage"!! I got a little over 50 mpg and loved it. I sure wish I had one again, California is going nuts with their regulations and taxes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Originally posted by: Kraw
didn't Kawasaki make a Mule with a diesel?

translation please?

if you are saying that diesels can't have more hp then a car, then you don't know diesels well [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Courtesy of the Dodge website: The Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins Turbo is an inline 6 cylinder diesel engine that produces 610 pounds-feet of torque at 1,600 RPM and 325 horsepower at 2,900 RPM from 5.9 liters of displacement. With Common-Rail Direct Injection, this is one quiet diesel engine.
that's over 300hp. Go to the ford site and see how many hp the new Mustang has, or even the old Camaros.

Diesels don't rev high like gas engines, they are designed to put out more torque then hp. Most new trucks with turbo diesels put out ~600lb/ft of torque and half the horsepower. Usually waaaay down in the rpm range, like below 2000 rpm.

DUDE your comparing apples to oranges.......to compare them together, take the ford 7.3L non-turbo to the 454ss of the same year (closest comparison) And the gas engine is better all over the spectrum. You are correct, Diesels are ment for torque at low RPM NOT HP!. I am a diesel mechanic by trade but I work on everything. The horse power rating on diesels means little to nothing. It takes more Hp just to keep the darn thing running than a gas engine.

A diesel would work good in a HEAVY work quad, but in most cases the quad you own gets it's spunk by fast reving RPM's and in that case a diesel would not have a chance to even be fun.

i have a hard time expressing my opinion but he pretty much well summed it up for me...
diesels are meant to be pulling stuff with not for speed, and concerning the fact that when diesels break there a fortune to fix, imagine heavily modifying one for drag/street racing...it just wouldnt work

Old 04-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

ok i may not have made my self clear on this im not talking about a yfz 450 diesal ne time in the future but more as the next big 4x4!!! i no the diesal is way to heavy to try and make a mxer or drag bike out of it i dont care if the rest of your bike is made of styrafoam(idk how to spell that) the engine is to heavy for that type of stuff but i see john deer w/ atvs that r stricktly used for farm so maybe this would intrest them??

Quick Reply: diesal atv's?? is it possible???