Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Ok I have to point out that the thread is getting a bit off topic, but I did notice that a few people have mentioned the polaris diesel. I have only seen them at the shop for repairs, and have never seen one run(not saying they were broke all the time just didn't get a chance). But did anyone stop and think why Polaris stopped making these after only 2 years?! From what the repair shops that I have seen these few at told me was that there was a major problem with the block cracking. The other down fall of diesel, well at least this one was excessive heat, I know that the running temp. of a 97 GMC dually with a 6.5liter diesel is about 75 to 100 degrees hotter than my 95 Chev suburban with a 454. So you would have to ask "Do you want to sit on something that gives of so much heat? I feel that there is no place in ATVs for diesel engines. I'd say we're gonna see electric ATVs first.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

do u ahve ne idea how heavy those things r and how vulnerbale those would b and how much less power those make those batteries r huge and would havfta cover even last inch of the bottom of the frame!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

the polaris diesel that i got to ride was only under my control for about fifteen to twenty minutes....it was a hot summer day so i cant actually say that i noticed any unnecessary heat considering it was about 85 and sunny....the black seat was hotter then HELL when i sat down though

Old 04-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

There are so many misstatements and half truths in this thread that things are almost as bad a the gearing thread a few weeks ago.

The name-of-the-game when talking diesel is low reving TORQUE, not high reving horsepower. The bike has a rear sproket twice the size of a gas motor.
Why would someone put a sprocket twice the size of a gas motor on a high torque low reving motor? For instance, lets say a gas motor will turn 8k rpm and a comparable diesel will turn 4k rpm. If the gas bike tops out at 80 mph and the you double the size of the sprocket it will top out at 40mph. If your diesel turns the same rpm it will also top out at 40mph. It dosen't turn the same rpm, in this instance it turns half the rpm, so now the diesel would top out at 20mph. Make sense?

Fastest pickup in the us, as far as i know, could be the world too, is a banks powered diesel.
Bonneville does not have a "supercharged, gas pick-up class. "If it did, engine for engine, it would be "see ya later for the diesel."

I have a duramax diesel in my truck.They are heavy- mine has an aluminum block and it's still heavy.
The d-max does not have a aluminum block.

Go read about what happened before they banned them from indy lol. They didnt win but only because of a caution or restart something right before the end of the race (they werent good at taking off).
A diesel at Indy? When? Are you talking about the 500? In what year was there a piston diesel engine at the 500?

But i will have to correct you in that diesels can will and have produced more hp and torque than the gas jobber.
Lets say that you build a 400cid diesel and I build a 400cid gas. Both are naturally asprirated. Lets see who will with the "HP" war!!! Torque will be close you might or might not win. Now, same deal with a turbo and 15 gauge psi. No contest, I will smoke you in the HP war!!!! Look at the Grand National. A little V6 that I have seen made close to 1000HP on gasoline. Try and make your 265ci diesel make that kind of HP.

Manufactures make chips that you plug into the diesel computer and can gain over 100hp just by pluging it in. No way you will do that with a gas.
Wana bet? Just a twist of a wastgate screw on my small block and it will happen..........and then some.

The other down fall of diesel, well at least this one was excessive heat, I know that the running temp. of a 97 GMC dually with a 6.5liter diesel is about 75 to 100 degrees hotter than my 95 Chev suburban with a 454.
What are we talking about? Water temp? My 6.5 diesel runs 190 water temp, are you saying your 454 runs 90 degrees water temp?

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
DUDE your comparing apples to oranges.......to compare them together, take the ford 7.3L non-turbo to the 454ss of the same year (closest comparison) And the gas engine is better all over the spectrum. You are correct, Diesels are ment for torque at low RPM NOT HP!. I am a diesel mechanic by trade but I work on everything. The horse power rating on diesels means little to nothing. It takes more Hp just to keep the darn thing running than a gas engine.
REALLY good statement. And very good comparison.

One more thing from me: Just because a fuel has more BTU's does not make it a more powerful fuel. Diesel fuel has the higest amount of BTU's of any fuel that I know of. Nitromethane has one of the lowest BTU contents of any fuel that I know of. What fuel do you use if you want to make the most HP? Yep, that's right, the nitro, because of the high amount of O2 it has it, will win in the HP war, not the diesel.

If you give one a turbo, you have to give the other a turbo. It's unfair to give the diesel engine a turbo and not give the gas engine the same advantage.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

When diesels were used at the indy 500 was like 50 years ago. They were highly sucseesful before they were banned.

The problem with diesels is the power to wieght ratio. Its the same with 4 stroke snowmobiles and jet skis. A naturally asperated diesel needs a turbo/supercharger to get a good power to wieght ratio.

For those that say diesels dont rev have never seen or worked on the detroit diesel 2 strokes.
The 2 stroke turbo diesels would be the way to go in a small atv engine. The drawback would still be expense.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WISTECH
When diesels were used at the indy 500 was like 50 years ago. They were highly sucseesful before they were banned.

The problem with diesels is the power to wieght ratio. Its the same with 4 stroke snowmobiles and jet skis. A naturally asperated diesel needs a turbo/supercharger to get a good power to wieght ratio.

For those that say diesels dont rev have never seen or worked on the detroit diesel 2 strokes.
The 2 stroke turbo diesels would be the way to go in a small atv engine. The drawback would still be expense.

LOL like the 8v92 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Most in here are too young to ever see one of the Oil leaking, Black smoking, Fuel eating, high reving, Oops It ran away!, Detroit 2 strokes!!!!!!!!!!!! For you that dont know, they reved like a gas engine, and they needed so much AIR that they used a blower and a turbo, just to run! When you shift them through the gears you had to have the dang thing wound up tight!

Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Ya I kinda miss those screamers. And the sound they made .Oh ya.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Miss em? Just step out on my back porch any night of the week and wait a few minutes. They are still on the road. Heck they were put in Chevy trucks (not pick-ups) up in the mid to late 80's. Timberjack used them in skidders for years. Thier still around, just listen!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Look at the Grand National. A little V6 that I have seen made close to 1000HP on gasoline."

I refuse to believe that that Grand National was running "gasoline". Gasoline is not capable of producing those kinds of HP numbers, it would be pinging like a SOB. That GN was running alcohol.

"One more thing from me: Just because a fuel has more BTU's does not make it a more powerful fuel. Diesel fuel has the higest amount of BTU's of any fuel that I know of."

No, but it does make it more efficient.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

lol, speaking of deisal, I just put diesal in my Bruin on accident. For some reason my dad had diesal in the can where we normally have the gasoline. Funny thing is we dont even own anything diesal, so I didnt even think to check.

And no i didnt run, or run very well. Works fine now that we got the good stuff in it.

Quick Reply: diesal atv's?? is it possible???