Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

diesal atv's?? is it possible???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesal atv's?? is it possible???

The quads that are being used now are gas, and need their own source of fuel when out in the field. The diesel motivation is to have commonality of fuel in a combat situation. The drawback with switching to a diesel motor is that it is not a high-reving engine, and a quad is just that. To get the speed without the rpm, the sprocket needs to be large (as with the bikes). And I do mean large!

Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

But a huge REAR sprocket reduces your speed and improves your torque application. To get more speed with the same engine revs you'd decrease the rear sprocket or increase the front one. Or are you talking about a different rear sprocket (i.e. on the rear of the engine, not the rear axel)

Old 04-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know how they geared the bike's gearbox, but I do know that the KLR-650 with the Hayes Diversified Technologies (look up the website) diesel engine has a huge rear wheel sprocket, and it idles like an out-of-balance washing machine. Its loud, its heavy, it gets great fuel milage, and the Marine Corps will be field testing several this year. The prototype turned out fine (I've seen it several times).

Personaly, I wouldn't buy one...

Diesel is being done, has been done, and I'm sure you all will be seeing more quads with it in the future.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

heres a question for everyone saying diesel makes more horsepower and 'shaves' off quarter mile times....have u ever seen a diesel dragster?
Diesel Dragster

Old 04-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, thats gotta burn.

By the way, if you guys didn't know, that deisel fuel is more effiecent then gasoline, its like a 5000 btu or somewhere around there difference in a gallon of gas and a gallon of diesel. But gas is more volitale (spelling?) than diesel and their for preforms better, in most cases.

MIke.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Its a petroleum distolute and comes from the same process as any other crude oil product (except for vegetable oil), just heavier in the cracking process.

I wanted to hear it run along with the interview...

Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

2phast;
The answer is yes. There is a company in Sudbury Ontario, that makes a heavy duty utility atv that is diesel powered. It is called a Mine Mule. Designed for work in the mines. As for the smell, runit on bio diesel and you'll only smell like a chip wagon, be totally ecology friendly, and have no toxic emissions.
R.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

AggieJustin, That dragster is indeed impressive. But I think the point that most of the anti diesals performance people are trying to make can be seen in the article below. Keep in mind that the car below was heavier, with a slightly smaller CI engine, only using 1 turbo and no N2O.

"Right out of the trailer we clicked off a run of 7.02 at 202 miles per hour, and I was taking it easy, believe me," Steve continued. He stepped things up considerably when he toured the quarter-mile at the NSCA Rising Sun Shootout in Maryland to the tune of 6.83 at 207. That particular feat was accomplished at heaver-than-allowed NMRA legal weight, and on DOT tires as well, since the car was entered in the Outlaw Street class. Plenty of jaws dropped when 6.83 flashed on the scoreboard, but the best was yet to come. At the NMRA Motorsports Nationals at Maple Grove, Pennsylvania, Steve sent the tech officials sprinting for their rulebooks after he blasted to an incredible 6.77 at 208 during qualifying, a number that was nearly three-tenths under the previous class record at the time.

Signifying the fact that a new era had indeed dawned in the Pro 5.0 ranks.

This article was in the National Dragster a few years ago, and was in memory of the late Steve Grebrac. (sp)

Old 05-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

hey guys, i didn`t have time to read all the post here i`m in kinda a hurry tonight but just my quick two cents here
yes the fastest truck is a diesel power dodge dakota built by gail banks, it currently stands at 222.139 mph top speed, and you know what it passes emmisions to.

and as far as the the powerstrokes, duramaxes etc, the only reason the only put out in 300-250 Hp and 600 or so lb feet of tourqe is that they can`t get a drivetrain to take any more than that, there is talk of building twin countershaft trannies such as those used in semis,

the polaris if i`m not mistaking wasn`t really a true diesel, from what i`ve been told it used a spark plug to ignite the fuel,
and for ppl saying diesel is not the future fuel, then why is there a bill being pushed giving new perks to buying them
gas is going away, because you can make more power (tourqe) with less emmisions, than a comperable sized gas
ex.

cummins 5.9 ISB I6, 325 HP @ 2900 RPM 600 lb ft @ 1600 Dodge magnum V-8 5.7 hemi 345 HP @ 5400 and 375 @ 4200. 20 less hp, 225 more lb feet of tourqe
international power stroke 6.0 V-8, 325 HP @ 3300 560 lb ft @ 2000 Ford triton V-10 6.8, 310HP @ 4250 and 450lb ft @ 3200 15 more hp and 135 more lb feet.
isuzu duramax 6.6l V-8 310HP @ 3000 605lb ft @ 1600 GM Vortec 8.1 V-8 330 HP @ 4200, and 450 lb ft @ 3200, 20 less hp and 155 more lb ft

now just for S&*%s and giggles, lets just say you call up the good ppl at gail Banks and put some up grades to said diesels you push out put...
cummins, 451Hp and 890 lb ft
international 463 Hp and 791 lb ft
isuzu 465 hp and 990 lb ft
and with all that they will still, you guessed it, pass emissions

oh yea i almost forgot you also get almost twice the MPG over the gas engines

now like i said i didn`t have time to read every post , but i will when i get more time