Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dissapointed raptor owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dissapointed raptor owner

2fun here's some old info. Hope it helps.

This is the best way.

The best thing to do is check it before you take it apart, with a piece of clear tubing. You can get the tubing at a hardware store for 20 cents, 1/8" clear tubing.

Thu September 05, 2002 3:11 AM

The quick & easy way to check float levels is to use a clear tube that fits the dump hole on the bottom of the carbs. You'll need at least one foot of tubing. Don't worry about an exact fit, the tubing can be a little bigger which will cause some of the gas to leak out but gravity is forgiving and is constant! You can get the tubing from your Yamaha dealer for a few bucks. Remove the stock dump hole tubing, put the new tubing on there & then bend up the other end and run it along side of the carb with the open end facing up. Then open the drain screw next to where the tube is connected & the level of gas in the tube should fill up & be level with or slightly above (2 or 3 mm) the bottom/top half of the carb's mating surface. If not, you'll need to adjust the float levels. A sign that the float levels are too high is if the stock drain tubes leak gas while your riding, you'll smell it for sure.
I just pop the carbs on the boots and set the tank on the frame and hook up the hose to check it again, you may have to take it back off once or twice to get it perfect. I also measure the amount that it is off and then take it apart, measure the float height and then bend the tab enough to raise or lower the float the amount that it was off. If that makes any sense.

A little more info here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys I checked it and it is adjusted right! Hmmm must be the muffler bearings??? You think.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

that is it was already set perfect

Old 04-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: huskerjim
OK guys I checked it and it is adjusted right! Hmmm must be the muffler bearings??? You think.
Sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The stock exhaust on the raptor is a real cork and you need to at least remove the flaps in the snorkle to the airbox. With that and a GYT-R jet kit you should have no problem with a pred. I would consider a different pipe other then the WB.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sixsixT
2fun here's some old info. Hope it helps.

This is the best way.

The best thing to do is check it before you take it apart, with a piece of clear tubing. You can get the tubing at a hardware store for 20 cents, 1/8" clear tubing.

Thu September 05, 2002 3:11 AM

The quick & easy way to check float levels is to use a clear tube that fits the dump hole on the bottom of the carbs. You'll need at least one foot of tubing. Don't worry about an exact fit, the tubing can be a little bigger which will cause some of the gas to leak out but gravity is forgiving and is constant! You can get the tubing from your Yamaha dealer for a few bucks. Remove the stock dump hole tubing, put the new tubing on there & then bend up the other end and run it along side of the carb with the open end facing up. Then open the drain screw next to where the tube is connected & the level of gas in the tube should fill up & be level with or slightly above (2 or 3 mm) the bottom/top half of the carb's mating surface. If not, you'll need to adjust the float levels. A sign that the float levels are too high is if the stock drain tubes leak gas while your riding, you'll smell it for sure.
I just pop the carbs on the boots and set the tank on the frame and hook up the hose to check it again, you may have to take it back off once or twice to get it perfect. I also measure the amount that it is off and then take it apart, measure the float height and then bend the tab enough to raise or lower the float the amount that it was off. If that makes any sense.

A little more info here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thanks sixsixT!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I'll file this one for future reference! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

huskerjim, you sure it is set to 3mm above the split? In all my time with tuning raptors I never found one that came set right from the factory. I am talking any model between 01 and 05. They are all the same. Like clockwork. It is usually set to be around 6mm above the split and you need to drop it slightly.