Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior wont turn off... and backfireing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior wont turn off...

Hey my buddys warrior wont turn off. you can turn the kill switch off and turn the key off and it keeps running until you stall it out with the clutch. any ideas? it doesnt wear the battery down though. the electric start works only with the key in. Its not a big issue because it runs. before it wasnt running because of electricle and he had to pop start it for a month or so

OK here is the second problem. about a month ago he went out to ride and after like 15 minutes it started to sputter. Now after he runs it for 10 or 15 minutes the exaust gets hot and it backfires when he tries to push up the RPMs past basically idle speed. It runs fine for the first 15 minutes. His dad thought it could be the valves. Our friend who does a lot of motor work thinks its jetted too rich and its getting hot in the pipe from the flame of the backfireing. it has no spark arrestor. Anybody have any other ideas or comments?

Heres info on the bike in general

2000 or 2001 warrior I forget.
Yoshimiria Pro series full exaust system, K&N filter with outerwears prefilter, stock carb, wiseco high compression piston. I belive he had a ring job done on it less then a year ago. its got a lot of other aftermarket but that doesnt affect the engine.

hah while im on here the previous owner pretty much stripped the oil drain plug. Im going to give it a try iwth my impact driver but if that doest work any other ideas short of having to drill it out??? either way once its out we'll get a new one we wont put the crappy stripped one back in.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Warrior wont turn off... and backfireing problem

is the parking brake sticking? are all the wires connected? is it properly jetted?

those are the 3 main questions you have to ask yourself.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

parking brake was removed and has been since my other friend bought it in 2002. It runs fine for like 10 minutes revs out fine then it starts backfiring. a friend of mine thought it was jetted too rich and unburnt fuel is building up causing it to eventually sputter and backfire. Jetting is what we're thinking too just seeing if anybody has any other ideas. Hes takin in down to the garage to have them re-jet it this week. just seems funny it ran fine for the last 6 months then is jetted wrong now. Its been cold out I havent run all the wires yet for the kill switch problem. I'm going to take his plastics off and give them a look over soon.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing i can tell you is to pull the plug on it and see what it looks like, im betting its running SUPER rich on the main. Other then that i can't tell you much without looking at the bike myself. If theres a loud ticking noise coming from the top end it could be valves, a simple adjustment would help that.