Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

who thinks a racer would go through more mud than my grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who thinks a racer would go through more mud than my grizzly 660

I know that several people have already mentioned the whole skimming thing... If the mud hole is at a fairly level point where you can get alot of speed up then trust me you can clear some BIG holes with a sport quad. I gaged a guy on a big 4x4 arctic cat one day out trailing...

He got stuck in a hole and had to winch out and I was laughing sitting there on my Rappy. Well the guy gets out of the hole all covered in mud and pissed as hell... looks and me and says what you think you can do better on that! Well I hit the hole at about 40 skimmed right across do a donut and roost his bike. Then just sit there laughing again.

So be carefull of the kind of hole you are going through before you make any bets. But on a real MUD hole where its uneven rutted out and usually banks going into it... there is NO WAY a 2WD bike will do what a big 4X4 will do!

Thought I would share that story...
Later,
Mike

Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Haven't you guys ever been to a real mud bog race? Not a pansy ATV mud bog race, but a real mud bog, with professional unlimited class race vehicles with 3,000 HP blown and injected V-8s, running on nitromethane? Sorry to say it, but the 2 wheel drive unlimited class is faster than the 4 wheel drive unlimited class, and both unlimited classes fly over the same mud hole that the big bad 4x4 pickup trucks got stuck in, 1/3 of the way across, earlier in the same day.

I could see the same scenario with certain ATVs, such as a 200 HP 912cc Trinity Banshee, vs a stock 4x4 Grizzly. Put some paddles on that Banshee, and if the Banshee could cross the mudhole in a straight shot, all he would have to do is pull the trigger and that Banshee would fly across a mud hole that the Grizzly couldn't make it 1/3 of the way across. That is a very limited scenario though, and 99.9% of sport quads would not have the power to take advantage of it anyway.

Kind of silly to compare sport quads vs 4x4s in mud anyway, it's like comparing a sport quad to a 4x4 quad in motocross, and then trying to find the one rare situation where a 4x4 would have an advantage.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

buckshot12
i just cleaned my panels with some alcohol and taped off the place i was going to spray....i used Krylon Fusion Spray Paint and i put 6 coats of paint on it cause it have clear coat mixed in with the paint already...the first few coats of mine had little spots all over it where the paint didn't fill in but after a few coats it will fill in....i didn't do any prep other than cleaning it with alcohol....i just bought the can from a hardware store....it still looks like the day i painted it....my legs rub it all the time when i ride and it still looks perfect....alot of people asked me where they can buy those painted side panels because they say it looks stock....good luck man

Old 05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was at the mounds mt. moris and i saw a raptor with mud tires and he tore it up, i mean went through some crazy deep mud but still ended up getting stuck. i have a kodiak 450 with stock tires and made it through due to the 4x4 and locking frontdiff. so i am sure your grizz and some meaty itp tires would tear up any racer.