Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hey Grizz fans!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Grizz fans!

I have a question for anyone with answers. I just bought a 2003 Grizzly off a buddy and got a pretty sweet deal. My first ride became quite expensive though. About 20 minutes into it I put a large stick through the rad, that was just poor luck. Not sure how it got in there as none of the plastic was broken. It just found its way??? Nothing a little JB weld won't fix and a couple good friends. The next day I took out a front cv joint on the right side. Later in the day I need the 4x4 and took the other one out. I was told by my local dealer that my tires (TPI) are too aggressive. I wasn't satisfied with that answer. I did some research and had another dealer tell me that the cv joints in the '02 and '03 are weak. Anybody heard this? If that is the case it should be a recall. I did order the Gorilla axles for the front but the bling bling is limited. I will probably do the rears later on. Just looking for feedback if anybody has any related advice or experienced related issues. I love the machine though. It is a real nice unit.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hey Grizz fans!

all Ive done to my grizz(03) is the left frnt wheel bearing, its got about 700 miles on it, but I put big boots on it lately, so you made me a little nervous now.
I did here of guys braking axles on the grizz with oversize rubber, and they all seem to happen the same way. While being heavy on the throttle and spinning out of a mudhole, when the tires hit hard ground, SNAP goes the axle.
so I've been careful doing that, and so far so good.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Grizz fans!

heres the low down on the 03 grizzly. first off, the best cv joints were on the 02. they are rocks. then they went and changed them on the 03, and the 03 has the worst design by far. seen guys break up to 5 or six of them before going to gorilla,s. another change in 04, and has been improved from there. your 03 are weak on a good day, and they may all break adventually. the tires are not the issue. that is the dealer laying down a load of crap. i watched a guy break an axle in the parking lot of a dealer with stock tires on it, lol. the up side is once you replace them all, the gorilla,s will last a long time, with any tire on them, as long as you are wise with it.
as for the rad. the griz rund hot as is, so altering the rad is not wise. either replace it, or buy highlifters aftermarket radiator for it. great rad, good price.
as for a recall, lmao. this is yamaha here. no recalls will be done unless 100+ people die from them. just ask the 01 raptor owners who,s tranny,s grenaded every week.
sorry for the news, but at least your replacing 2 of them allready.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hey Grizz fans!

Thanks for the heads up. ROTFLMAO when buddy broke the axle in the parking lot at the dealers. Thanks for the heads up on the rad too!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Grizz fans!

There was a recall for the solid side pannels. See if you can get the 04 vented side pannels, it will help with the over heating.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Hey Grizz fans!

Originally posted by: Starky
There was a recall for the solid side pannels. See if you can get the 04 vented side pannels, it will help with the over heating.
my 03 has a single slot on the side panels, is this on thats recalled or the replacement?

Old 05-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hey Grizz fans!

Not sure about the side panels? I know mine haven't fit properly since I got it. I wonder if that is what they are recalled for. I checked with my dealer and he said there isn't a recall but just an update so I would still have to pay for it. But the ones with the fins are only about $40 each side.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Hey Grizz fans!

They were recalled because they didn't have any ventilation. They should replace the side panels with the vented kind, add some insulation to the bottom of the gas tank and fuel line, and put on some different piece that kind of blocks the heat off the carburator. It was all supposed to be a warrantied recall. At least it was for me. The only hard part I had was scheduling an appt for when they finally got the recall kits in at the dealership. Didn't cost a dime.