Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A little help with my raptor reverse indicator light please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help with my raptor reverse indicator light please.

I was at the dunes today and my reverse light kept coming on and going off regardless of wether or not i was in reverse and i want to remedy this.I should add that when the light is on my raptor spits and sputters and then when it goes off on its own everything seems fine.How do i totally disconnect the wiring to eliminate this from happening in the future.I realize that i could do a search but i want the latest and greatest information on this.So any ideas?Thanks.

Old 05-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it wasnt the temperature light? Perhaps you have the lenses on the wrong wires? Was it flashing or steady?

Bad connection maybe?

Old 05-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I am sure it is the reverse indicator light but thanks for the suggestion.I guess a more detailed explanation of the situation is in order so here goes.Motor is running- tranny is in neutral-shift to 1st sometimes results in going into reverse-when light is on motor acts like ignition problem with cutting out and sputtering-reverse light comes on intermittently and when it is on the cutting out happens-when the light is off all is good.Sorry for the robotic dialect but i want to avoid confusion and i am just stating the facts.The tranny seems fine unless the reverse light comes on then the problems start so i dont think it is the tranny.The reverse switch only engages sometimes and the switch and its wiring would seem to be the culprit but obviously i am not sure or i wouldnt be asking.As i said earlier i want to totally disconnect the reverse wiring so this does not happen again so infromation on how to do that is what i need.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

i'll tell you what problem is and why. sand has worked its way upside your connection and is not letting it ground out. ( i know this cuz it happens to mine every once in a while)
pay attention
next to your front sprocket underneath the sporcket, their are two wire coming out of the bottom of your tranny (NEXT TO THE SPROCKET!!!)

one is held on my a screw, the other is a plug that you slip on(like a minature sparks plug cap) the one you can pull off is your reverse sensor, you have a bad connection their, pull it off, clean inside the plug, wipe of the terminal(on the tranny) make sure its all clean(look inside the little plug) and stick it back on and make sure its a snug fit.....

problem solved.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

CTracingraptor-I think you are right with your diagnosis because last year i had similar problems and i pulled the black plug off and cleaned it and the problem went away but i thought it was just a coincidence.I will pull the plug off and clean it and the post and see what happens.Thanks.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If CTracings suggestion does not clear up your problem. Pull the CDI out and check the wires where they would be rubbing on the plastic right at the connection. I had a similar problem and some of the wires were rubbed through and they'd touch once in a while. I don't remember if the oil light or the reverse light would come on and the bike would miss and sputter but fixing these wires by taping them up seperate fixed the problem for me.