Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bigbear rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2000, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 model. several months ago my rear brakes were sticking. I removed wheel and brake drum and cleaned brake asembly. I noticed maybe a few drops od water. I put some grease on the splines and grease on the the rubber gasket where the brake drum cover goes. Seemed to be fine Several months later, my son says the brakes are gone. I figure its time for a new set since the rear brake adjustment is about gone. I take apart off the rear wheel and remove the brake drum cover (which is sealed tightly.) Alot of water and mud pour out. My son says we put it together wrong last time. I say he should have drained the water out and rinsed off brakes after riding in deep water/mud. I need to know who's right. I'm ready to put it back together but I want to do it right. Sorry for the long post, but this is important.

Old 10-09-2000, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odds are you DID do it right the first time. To be Frank for a moment, the back brakes that Yamaha use, be it the so-called sealed drums or be it disk brakes, both are CRAP. I'm seriously thinking about disconnecting my rear brakes all together. I rarely use them and don't want to be replacing pads every 3 months just because mud and sand keeps eating them away. There might be better pads/shoes out there. One person told me EBC holds up pretty good. Dunno yet, I just had EBC put on last week. 3 months from now will tell me if they are any better.