Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATTENTION! if you own a warn winch or know anyone that has an atv winch period.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION! if you own a warn winch or know anyone that has an atv winch period.

I bought one of those $100 warn look alikes and it works just as good as the warn. My friend and I have pulled logs out of the river side by side and eighter one was not better than the other at pulling. I've got mud and dipped the winch in the water lots (mounted on a Vinson, low) and it finally broke. Friend was jerking with a tow strap on my trailer ball while I held the winch at max stall pulling more logs and I cleaned the gears on the clutch housing. Tore it apart and dumped all the dirt out and it looks identicle to a warn. So I ordered a new clutch housing and when it arived i found a differance. The diameter from gear tip to gear tip inside is 3.25 inches on mine and 3.5 inches on a warn. Tore friends warn apart to clean after saw dirt in mine and all the rest of the parts are the same exept gear diameter. Outside is the same. Now I was wondering if Ramsey or milemarker have a 3.5 or 3.25 inch housing or else I will just have to buy gears to match the housing.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATTENTION! if you own a warn winch or know anyone that has an atv winch period.

i've had my Warn 2.5 for aproaching a year,and a half,installed it myself,and have had zero issues

i've pulled some bike's that were DEEPLY stuck,,,my Griiz is too light to yard someone out that is really stuck deep,so i have to use a tow strap on the back of my bike to a tree,or if a tree isnt available,i get someone to put the front of their bike against the front of mine to keep me from sliding,,,the winch just yards them out

my only complaint is its slow to reel in,or out,so i ended up getting a manual lift for my plow

Old 10-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

lol, i bought one of those 50 dollar utility winches from harbor freight, thing works flawless, been in mud snow water, lol my buddy bought a warn at the same time. uses it less then i do and he has a bad bearing in it, lol

Old 10-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

Warn made it right with me even though my 1 year warranty was up. It took about a week of exchanging emails but they finally agreed to send me a replacement. Too bad I already bought one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Got me a spare now.