Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help my wolverine in the corners...susp. adjust tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my wolverine in the corners...susp. adjust tips

My dad took our wolverine out riding with a couple guys one day putting up deer stands. Well, the guy he went with has a pond that has a track around it. It is basically a flat oval dirt track. The guy rides a Foreman, not sure if it is 400 or 450, but is an auto. Anyway, my dad said the wolv would take him in a straight drag, but when it came to laps around the pond, the Foreman would take him. Does this seem right. I am pretty confident I could push it harder than dad, he's not old but he is 52 and probably wasn't driving as aggressive as I would. How should I adjust the suspension in front and back. Right now, the back is on second stiffest setting, the front is how it came stock. Also, what about tire pressure? I would imagine more pressure, so I could slide around turns more with less roll?? Anyone got any tips? This is just a friendly little grudge, but I want to beat him bad. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Range Rover

I have don't know about a foreman, but i can take my friend's rancher around my track. I think if u push a little harder u should be able to beat him, but i don't know for sure. I would think w/ the 424 u would be able to put it in 2wd and slide it w/o any pressure changes.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Range Rover

I know I will push harder than my dad did, which will help alot. I think that sliding around in 2wd will be the best approach as well. But I am going to use a stopwatch and try it in both 2wd and 4wd.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your dad needs riding lessons. A Wolverine should take a Foreman everytime, regardless of the suspension settings. Nothing against Foremans, they're fine quads. They're also slow and clumsy. A Wolverine should be able to carry its speed far better in the corners. So if yours can beat it in a straight drag, laps around a pond should be an even easier win...

Old 07-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

Try stiffening the front suspension a little. Maybe 1 or 2 notches and air the front tires up a little harder. This helps in the curves because it doesn't nose dive in the hard turns. The rear should be left soft as is comfortable to lower the center of gravity. I run my bear tracker and griz front tires harder than the rears because I do fast trail riding all the time and cornering is most important to me. I run 5 to 6 psi in the fronts and 4 in the rears. Is this what you are looking for?