Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

thinkig of buying kodiak 450?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinkig of buying kodiak 450?!!?

Any one have any problems or other suggestions on another Quad? I had a wolverine,but sold it and I was thinking of getting something that would do better as far as power and 4x4 performance. Is this as much fun to ride as my wolvey? THanks for any help!!!!!

Old 07-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have fun when riding mine.

There always seems to be enough power, except at the very top end, it tops out about 52 mph. The good thing about the 450 is the low range and the diff lock, which makes it go thru some realy tough spots. The motor seems to be strong thru out the rev range, and the engine braking is strong and predictable. Havent had a problem with the tranny , and dont expect to. I changed the weights, and itll really respond, if you go a bit lighter on them. The cover over the cvt hasnt leaked yet.

The back brakes can do some squeeking, and almost everyone complains about it, its not a biggie. Theres also some issues with greasing the suspension in back, the nipples are hard to get to. But thats not a biggie either.

It wont keep up with the faster 500s, like the sportsman, but itll mud with the best of them.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

I think the Kodiak is an outstanding choice. Agreed it is not the fastest, tallest, or the only choice in this class. But for my money I have really enjoyed mine. I bought in November 2004, and have only had crud in my carb from using fuel from a friends dirty gas can...bummer. But after a thorough cleaning it runs like a charm. I have had the valve lash checked recently, and it improved the perforomance a little. I have upgraded to the ITP Wetlands Radials, and that has helped in the handling department for me, I am about 260 lbs.and the stock tires seemed to roll in the front on sharp downhill cornering, I also bumped the shock setting up a notch, and it rides like a dream now. More than enough to keep up with the big boys in the woods on twisty trails, actually they have trouble keeping up with me... ha ha. Anyway I have about 1000 miles on mine, had water/ mud up to the seat and have had no mechanical problems.