Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need help on yamaha blaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on yamaha blaster

Hi everyone i have recently just bought a 1989 yamaha blaster. it has had trouble starting from the begining when my dad and i first mixed the gas we used two cycle out board engine oil and we used that for awhile and it would start from 1-10 kicks. Right now we mixed up another gas mixture with premium gas and gold spectro oil and now it will only start on ocasion by jumping it i took out the spark plug and it was black with oil so i went out to get a new one ot put in i tryed starting it with the new spark plug and it started first kick but then i turned it off and let it sit for and hour or two and then it wouldn't start again...so i checked the spark and it was fouled out once again i am desperate to find out what is wrong becuase i am sick of buying new spark plugs please send me an email about what you think is wrong at Haul.Anchor@verizon.net PLEASE HELP

P.S at this time right now we have to CORRECT gas to oil mixture*

Old 07-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

mess with the mixture a lil bit sounds like u got to much oil in the gas. an if yur u like a dependable quad then get yamalube oil.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

What ratio are you running just outta curiosity? Have you checked your jetting? Since you bought it from someone else, it may be jetted for a different riding elevation then what you are at, and that might cause fowled plugs. Also, did you completely drain the tank before you switched to the golden spectro pre-mix? Sometimes two different types of two stroke oil don't get along very well and can cause issues. Not sure if this is the case, but it might be a good idea to drain your tank, get fresh premix in there and also clean your carb out.

-Brandon

Old 07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

in my blaster i run 89 octane and yamlube oil... the ratio i use is 40:1 10 ounces of oilper 3 gallons of gas

Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

first get one of those ratio cups that was one of my best investments i use it all the time and just because a plug is darkened by oil doesnt mean its trash just clean it with gas, carb cleaner, or starting fluid all work well and i would drain the gas start off fresh i personaly run 32:1 wich is kinda rich i think that is your problem as well you are way to rich and make sure your using 2stroke oil

Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

do you have an oil block of kit?? if not then you dont have to worry about mixing that oil. put the 2 stroke oil in the opening under the seat.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

If you are mixing the gas and there is oil in your oil tank and its pumping your getting twice the oil you need and dont just not put oil in the oil tank as that will mess up the motor to much air. buy a block off kit that way your atv is more reliable and just premix.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks brandon from all the qoutes i got yours was the one that made the most sence and i plan on draining all the gas out from the tank and starting all over...i justed wanted to say thanks for your information it was really helpful