Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Jetting Story....Ch. 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Jetting Story....Ch. 1

Well, I got off of work almost 2 hours late today and got home to see my box sitting on my fourwheeler. What was in the box you ask??!! My Dr. D. Slip on, K&N Filter and my Dyno Jet Kit from Magic Racing. I eat dinner and rush out there to get started. My goal was to get the slip on installed, K&N installed and get to my jets so Icould remove a Pilot Jet to get to a friend tomorrow so he could go to a dealer for me Wed. and match it with two 25 pilot jets. Well, I got the slip on installed (no problem).... Got the K&N installed (no problem). I got my front plastics off and my tank off and low and behold, there lie the carbs. I unboot them and get them flipped over and there are the screws. DUM DUM DUM..... The screws that everyone tells me are SOFT, WEAK, and EASY to strip. So before hand, I went to the hardware store and bought eight replacement screws to exchange them, so they wouldnt be so soft. Well, I take one phillips head after a screw and turn softly and WOW, it starts the beginning stages of stripping. WOW, real soft!!!!!! So I try another Phillips head on a different screw and Wah Lah, it pops loose. And another, another till I get all but the one screw done on one side of the carb. I go for that first one again and dang.......it strips!!! So I go to the other carb and one pops loose, two pops loose, three pops loose, and then STRIP!!!!!!!!!!! So, out of 8 screws, I stripped two, one on each side. So, tomorrow a buddy of mine is bringing a drill over to pull em out....so I will keep yall informed!!!

Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

that sux. seems like any "simple" task on a quad always turns into a several day project. i swear manufacturers do that just to **** us off so we dont work on our own quads!!! good luck with the rest of the project, and good thinkin on getting hardened screws to go back in rather than replacment yamahahaha screws.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

ya, thats why when it comes to jetting i bring it to the Yamaha shop, if they break anything they have to fix it.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt trust shops around here to do my jetting. i would rather spend the time and save the money doing it myself.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Theres a shop around here called cycle design its about an hour away from my house but its worth the ride they have done an awesome job everytime i have ever brought my quad down. Always extremely nice and helpful. Easy stuff i can handle but im staying away from jetting.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

by "shops" i meant dealers; their all crooks. i guess there are some oldtimers around here that i would trust.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Don't mess with drilling, rethreading, and all of that. You can try one of 2 things, get the biggest fillips head that will fit into the head of the screws (If they're not already too bad), take them completely off and put on a bench and get someone to hold them down while you put pressure and turn. Or, if they are already too bad, get the pointiest and smallest Vise-Grips that will fit and lock them down on each screw and turn. It only takes the little snap and they come loose. That's all the room that you have to work with, but that's how I got all 3 of 8 of mine off. I would try one of these before I chanced making it worse by drilling. Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

Well, we tried the drill and that did nothing, so we took a disk and cut the screw into a flat head and WAH LAH, it popped right off. Both of them!!! So now, with all 8 screws loose, I took the float bowl off the left carb and got to work. I changed the main jet with a Dyno Jet 144 and I took the Pilot out. I put the bowl back on and turned the air screw all the way in, then 3 turns out. I did the same with the other carb except I used a Dyno Jet 146. A buddy of mine is getting my pilots for me today, so I will get them from him on Thurs. I turned the carbs back over and did both the needles. All in all, it was very easy, just different messing with TINY parts!!!! I should have everything done by Thurs or Fri.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, I am a little late, but needle nose vise grips work great at taking those stripped carb screws out.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Tips for the future:

1. Before un- torquing, insert the philips screwdriver in the screw head and whack it firmly with a hammer. Then un- torque the screw. This helps a lot.
2. Make sure you have a good quality #1 screwdriver. Some are too pointy which strips the screw. Flatter ones do better.
3. When tightening the screws, just snug them. Chances are, you will be into that bowl many times.

Quick Reply: Raptor Jetting Story....Ch. 1