Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Restoration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Restoration Questions

The manual says the Grizz has a magneto. I hooked a jumper cable from the spark plug (removed) to the crank case, pulled the rope and it fired. So long as its getting fuel, there is compression and timing is on, I thought it would fire up. I replaced the plug and pulled many times on the rope but nothing happened. I'm suspicious of the carb because there were no fumes coming out of the exhaust. I poured about a teaspoon of gas into the carb, pulled the chord and it backfired on multiple tries - smelled great too.

I'd try to bump start it like you said but I can't cause a scene. Not only that but the gear selector doesn't move. I think I will try and start it with the battery on my John Deere Gator. Ever since the one time I gave myself a black eye because the pull-starter didn't catch, I've feared those things. I think that by running the engine continually, I can determine whether or not there is carburation - I should be able to smell it at the exhaust.

Also, I discovered a massive oil leak at the gasket between the crank case and what I think is the flywheel housing on the left side. Gaskets are easy to make but taking the engine apart may be a bridge too far. More to follow.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, I never knew that you could actually roll start a belt drive. I'll remember that if I ever get hung out to dry with a dead battery.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I fixed the oil leak with a manilla folder gasket - it seems to hold.

I ground hopped the starer and it doesn't turn after I filed down the mica, per the manual. I think it must be T/U. I know it's a lot to ask but does anybody have a spare they could send me like right away in exchange for a check? I'm good for it and I'm running out of time.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned out the carb. It's got a good spark and it seems to be getting fuel but it still doesn't start.

When I throttle it and crank it, it backfires every time. But it won't start.

Does this sound like a timing prob? How can I check the timing w/o the engine running? Like is there an initial setting to make sure it's at least in the ballpark? The service manual really sucks, BTW.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

does it have any compression?

Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a tester but it certainly feels like it has compression when I pull-start it... and I even squirted a little oil into the cyllinder for good measure.

BTW, I inherited a couple more running bikes - a Wolverine and a Honda fourtrax. They're a hoot to drive at night - especially wearing night vision goggles. The Yamaha is a far superior machine though.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I changed the fuel, checked the valves and spark plug gap and it still doesn't start! Loves to backfire though. What gives?

Starter's bad so all I can do is pull-start. It doesn't have a battery either but I don't think it needs a battery to pull-start - the Wolverine starts up fine w/o one.

I think I will try tow-starting it tomorrow.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried tow-starting it today. It will roll for a few feet and then the wheels lock up and they leave black streaks on the pavement. I put it back in neutral and it rolls. Then I put it back in high and it rolls for a few feet and the it locks up again.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

well i definatly would have sent you that part you needed if i had it. becuase you out there fighting for us. and we all appreciate it. all the hippies can just go over to north korea and see what could happen to the states if we dididnt have a military to fight back terrorists and what not. they should be lucky they even have the right to prototest and that rights here becuase of our soldiers

Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

you said there was a can or ether sitting on it? my guess would be is that someone who didnt care if it ran or not just kept dumping ether in it to try and get it to start. i wouldnt be suprised if the piston is burnt up in there. im a heavy equipment mechanic in the navy, and there are plenty of people around here that think they're mechanics. all they know how to use is a hammer and a can of ether. i dont know how many engines i've seen get screwed up because they always start them using ether. after so long, the engine cant start on it's own anymore and needs ether every time you want it to start.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Restoration Questions