Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Restoration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Restoration Questions

I'm an Army officer currently deployed. I found what I think is a 98/99 Grizzly in an abandoned bunker. It was probably one of the SF's many toys that they left behind. If I can get it running, I will paint it olive drab and drive it. I've never laid hands on an ATV before but lots of experience with old VW's and Porsches. All of the major components seem to be in place (except battery) but I get the impression it didn't start because I found a can of ether sitting on top of it. Any answers to the following would be appreciated.

1. Are there any online resources such as manuals, wiring and hose diagrams? Mail here sucks.
2. Is the trans. oil separate from the engine oil?
3. What grade of oil does it take?
4. It has an aux. recoil starter. Will it run w/o the battery?
4.B. The recoil starter was removed. What's the plastic cap behind it for?
5. The brake pedal doesn't seem like it wants to move. Is that normal?
6. 1/4 in. above the left band brake, there is a broken nipple w/ no line running into it. What should go there?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

Where are you at?

Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Uzbekistan.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I found a 2001 manual online that seems to answer most of my questions. But I'd still like to know if it will run w/o the battery.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

not going to run without a battery

Old 08-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DonQ
I'm an Army officer currently deployed. I found what I think is a 98/99 Grizzly in an abandoned bunker. It was probably one of the SF's many toys that they left behind. If I can get it running, I will paint it olive drab and drive it. I've never laid hands on an ATV before but lots of experience with old VW's and Porsches. All of the major components seem to be in place (except battery) but I get the impression it didn't start because I found a can of ether sitting on top of it. Any answers to the following would be appreciated.

1. Are there any online resources such as manuals, wiring and hose diagrams? Mail here sucks.
2. Is the trans. oil separate from the engine oil?
3. What grade of oil does it take?
4. It has an aux. recoil starter. Will it run w/o the battery?
4.B. The recoil starter was removed. What's the plastic cap behind it for?
5. The brake pedal doesn't seem like it wants to move. Is that normal?
6. 1/4 in. above the left band brake, there is a broken nipple w/ no line running into it. What should go there?
2. Nope, same sump for both.
3 10w 30 or 10w 40, depending on the weather.
4you can also bump start it, by pulling it behind a truck...you only need to go about 7 mph.
4bThe timing marks on the flywheel are behind the little cap.
5the brakes are probably dry or corroded, or the wrong fluid was put in, like something petrolium based.
6not sure.
Because the ignition is battery /coil, and not a magneto, itll need some volts to start.,

Old 08-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

do you have any pictures of the grizz?

Old 08-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How do you roll start an automatic?

Old 08-07-2005, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would think that if it can't run w/o a battery, it won't be able to start w/o battery - or vice versa. I will try and scrounge for a battery. I have 12V lithium manpack batteries here in abundance but I read somewhere that lithium batteries are kind of unstable for automotive use.

I would have tried to start it by now but I had to fly somewhere else to get tools if you can believe that.

I would post some pictures but I don't know how and I don't have time to learn.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youre correct, it wont run or start with out a battery. I meant to say that once there is a battery in it, then it can be bump started if the starter isnt working, and you dont feel like pulling on the rope.
Youre gonna need a lead acid type battery, i dont think any of the other types of batteries, can stand up to the charging of the stator.Any 12 volt lead acid batery that will fit , and let the cables connect, will be good enough.
To bump start a grizz, or any other ultramatic,(bruin, kodiak)..hook up a tow strap, turn the key on, put it in high, and start pulling. You dont need to go fast, 7mph is enough,and itll start. Its because the ultramatic belt is always tight on the pulleys, and the crankshaft has a spage clutch going to the primary pulley. So if the back tires turn....so will the motor. Done it many times, and its much easier than using the rope.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Restoration Questions